Catching by design.............

njb51

Reaction score
Is it possible to target specific species? Or is it just coincidence / luck when you do catch the species you want?

Discuss.......................

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes, it is possible to target specific species. However, it may just be coincidence that another species will take a fancy to the same bait.

Other than sticking on a whacking great dead/live bait for pike when no other predators are in the water then almost any other species will take almost any other bait, providing it's gob's big enough.

I've caught bream on 22mm halibut pellets, roach on 12mm boilies, carp on maggots and casters, perch on bread, and all whilst targeting other species.

F

Fred Bonney

Yes, it is possible to target most species,from my experience.

I hardly ever catch Bream!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Went breaming the other day only to find all the fish in the upper layers - bream as well as carp - so zig-rigged a half-slice "bread roll", so I could pull it out of sight of the ducks, hoping for a carp or two. Result? One carp, then bream after bream, from at least 4' off the deck!

They included a new P.B., so it was "Mission accomplished", but only because I ditched plan A, and settled for breaming by their rules, not mine.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Almost an impossibility I would think Johnny. Even if you exclude the small stuff and target pike by fishing a live/dead bait or plugs you could take zander, perch, chub or an eel(not on a plug though). Use conventional small baits and you never know what is going to pop its head up including the aforementioned.

S

Steve King

You can target to a degree, but I've caught pike on worms & maggots and also had a large roach/bream hybrid on meat!!