Anglers mail giving food to the anti brigade

paul80

Reaction score
Hi guys

Anyone see this weeks Anglers Mail, did you see the picture of the Shark that had been caught when the anglers hook hooked into a hook already in the sharks mouth from an earlier failed attempt at catching it. Kind of ruins the old claims that it doesn't matter if a fish gets away with a hook still in it as it would rust away in a few days doesn't it. How long would that hook take to rust away.

Talk abut giving food to the Anti Brigade.

Paul

terry m

Reaction score
I have always been rather sceptical of the claims that a hook would corrode so quickly.

Grab a large sea hook - remember a shark hook - and lob it in salt water and see what happens. I would wager that it would be months before anything discernable happens.

sam vimes

Reaction score
To be fair, the antis require nothing more than us being willing to stick hooks in fish for ammunition. Anything more is just a bonus for them.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
... like over stocked commercials

Or understocked rivers which should be our real cause for concern.

Exactly what level of stocking pools is "over stocked"? Surely it is in the interests of fishery owners to ensure the health of the fish and by definition prevent overstocking. On the 'commercials' I fish, the owners or bailiffs, regulally patrol and ensure anglers take due care.

paul80

Reaction score
Over stocked commercials, must admit I fished a few of these fish a chuck places but to be honest I do find that kind of venue rather boring and nowadays I only go to them when I only have a few hours to fish. I much rather go to a location where my own fishing skills and river craft dictate what I catch, and if I blank I don't beat myself up over it.

Paul

chav professor

Reaction score
Cranks and looneys don't look at things objectively as 'amunition'...... Hardly a poster campaign...... Hooks don't rust - to feed angers lust - bl@@dy hell, a catchy slogan........

Anti's are well funded and better organised. If I remember the last big PETA campaign - the only place I saw the poster was in the angling press.

As you were Anglers Mail - it was a good story from a journalistic point of view. we are anglers, don't start getting squeemish over using hooks - that is just silly!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have only come across one Anti in the last 20 years and that was a nutter woman who lives on the canal near me.
I remember seeing a clip on the news about 20 years ago when some antis tried to disrupt a big match on the Ancholme by throwing bricks into swims and one was swimming with scuba gear cutting anglers lines.
Most of them left the scene in ambulances...............

Last edited:

caferacer

Reaction score
Dr Ken Whelan one of the most forward thinking and respected fisheries scientists in Europe.His view on angling-quote"the angler is at the vanguard of environmental awareness,watching the processes and is the first to know when something is wrong".Ethics is too vague a subject to consider but in practical terms,without anglers,poaching/water quality would be rife.Hooks are a minute price to pay.We dont give ourselves enough credit...