Do you lose tackle, or find tackle?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I used to regularly cast floats into trees. Any sinking lure I cast out was inevitably lost within a few casts.

Over the past 10 years though, things have changed. OK I've lost a few lures. But I've found a few as well, including a nearly brand new Rapala lodged in a bush along the towpath of the Macclesfield canal. Quite how it got there is anyone's guess.

Probably half of my current float collection was once owned by someone else. I've picked them out of the water. I've plucked them out of riverside trees when I've been wading.

Over the past couple of months in Poland I've extracted 2 floats (real works of art) and 2 Mepps type spinners which I spotted snagged close to the bank.

How about you, do you generally lose tackle, or find it?

terry m

Reaction score
I guess I am a Nett finder of kit. My approach is pretty organised and everything has its place so when packing up I know what I should have. Also I tend not to have kit strewn all up the bank as some people do.

My finds always seem to be things like banksticks, baiting needles and small items that previous anglers have dropped and I have happened upon.

I have yet to stumble on anything of real significance or value.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Found a brand new plug today on the Macc canal, line had snapped no trace on it plus, it still had the hook protectors on the trebbbles?????

Above that about 2 foot away was a red bubble float??
makes you wonder what book they read.Paul and myself didnt have a pull, boads well for Friday Ric:D:D

john woody

Reaction score
i went to cudmore on saturday and on my way back to my car i found a set of pole pots ;)

mol

Reaction score
As a kid I used to go to the local reservoir as the levels fell and that would keep me in swimfeeders and bombs. The last couple of years I found loads of little bits, swivels, baiting needles, boilie stops etc.

My worse loss was a brand new abu fixed spool reel, an autocast jobby. I'd saved up paper round money for and lost it packing up on it's first outing, I blanked aswell.:mad:

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Keep the faith Derek! I'm sure they'll be packed into their winter quarters now. It was an off day. Did you try the dropshot?

john woody

Reaction score
Keep the faith Derek! I'm sure they'll be packed into their winter quarters now. It was an off day. Did you try the dropshot?

same on all waters now m8 carp start to do that at this time of year .

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You need to keep your eye out...

Thirty-odd years ago, when, in addition to fly and spinner, I wielded a mean bait (worm, shrimp, less so prawn) for salmon, I would wait for one of my local rivers to shrink in some terrible drought, then visit its most-pounded stretch (only forty yards in length) by the "boys" I sometimes fished with in high water but who didn't / couldn't did do the fly stuff I did for the great majority of the season. Walked off that bare-bones, not fished for weeks bit early one morning with nearly 70 pounds of lead (lost bombs and bullets), which went into my lead-making moulds the following winter for the next season. Still fishing with the very same lead, now turned into 1-, 1.5- and 2-ounce bombs, for barbel (sometimes), so many years later.

As for what I did - wading miles of three rivers in the same sort of drought - collecting Mepps and Vibrax spoons, Toby spoons, Quill Minnows, metal Devons and Rapalas from many an overhanging branch...

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Are you fishing or playing tennis ? :confused:

I'm a net loser of tackle...literally. I've left three landing net's behind that I can think of including a first time out Sharpes trout net.Drove all the way back to Northampton to search for it but no joy.Nearly left a Hardy fly rod at Farmoor but the warden found it & headed me off at the car park...good lad !

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A lot freshwater fishing but, on the sea fishing front. I purchased a cheap metal detector some years ago. Whenever I go beach fishing I have a mooch about keeping an eye on the rod for bites and have hardly ever bought a weight ever since plus many traces swivels etc. As a bonus I have found lots of pound coins, watches, gold rings and thousands of tin can ring pulls. That's the downside but worth the investment although I have missed the odd fish as well.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
on the whole I've found more than I've lost

Lost a coupel of bankstick I've left behind and a pair of forceps in the lake once

Found - various floats, leaad bombs, scissor, hooks - still hoping for a rod and reel :)

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Hi Ric. I find stuff and cherish it - even a lead on the Ribble or a pike float on the Canal, I enjoy making something positive out of others' misfortune...

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I found a couple of banksticks and some forceps at a lake once.

I haven't lost anything yet...what I can remember

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have found tackle of my own that i thought i had lost, i find it in my sons tackle bag.
I have a brother like that. Whenever I go and visit him I have to go outside for a fag but, I have a rummage around his garage and always find something of mine he nicked. I am now resorting to nicking something of his just to try to teach him a lesson. Mind you this has been an on going battle for years!