Fishing brollies

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What is it about fishing brollies that they are ridiculously expensive yet at the first gust of wind they either wrap themselves around you or tear themselves to pieces? This isn't confined to brollies with fibre glass ribs either so what has changed, does it only happen in 50 inch and not 45 inch brollies? Is nylon a more durable fabric than PVC or is it to do with shoddy materials.

I have a 50 inch Light seal, metal ribs, made by Keenets and last year at Clattercote even though the wind wasn't over strong it wrapped itself around me so I put it away and sat in the rain, for the hefty price it really is not good enough.

So, what has gone wrong with modern brollies?

goody

Reaction score
A friend of mine still has same cotten fishing brolly that he bought in the early seventies and still in use.

The quality of some stuff now is to say the least poor and over priced.

Y

yoggy

Graham,couldn`t agree more mate. I have yet to find a brollie that I`m 100% happy with. But this is just not retricted to brollies. Reels I find today are definatly better engineered but the actual built quality has somewhat deteriorated. They just seem so plasticy. Yuk

stikflote

Reaction score
I use a preston flat back had about 5t6 years in all weathers, seems ok i have fitted storm poles to it,tho do not always use them

S

Scott Whatmore

Stikflote, I've got the same brolly and its been fine for me too. Got it late(ish) 2001. No probs at all.

But what are storm poles?

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
mine broke so as a quick fish i got one from argos for ?15 and its awsome its lasted for about a year and still going it has stood high winds snow and everything and its not a bad size

stikflote

Reaction score
rodney you can buy the stormcaps and fit them to your brolly
then buy to long extending bank sticks ,they will do for the poles ,if you buy storm poles they are twice as much again