Illegal Lead Fishing Weights – ATA issue Warning

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
"The ATA is contacting all 200 Trading Standards departments, run by local authorities, to ensure that officers are aware of the law and the need to prevent illegal lead weights being offered for sale."

Perhaps the ATA could better spend their time and money questioning why it is that only (?) the UK finds it necessary to ban lead shot in the first place and getting a lobby together to overturn the ruling which will then allow their own members to profit from these sales.
I wonder if any studies have been done to discover if numbers of birds sick with lead in their crops have declined since the ban was introduced. No? Well start there then!

dangermouse

Reaction score
"The ATA is contacting all 200 Trading Standards departments, run by local authorities, to ensure that officers are aware of the law and the need to prevent illegal lead weights being offered for sale."

Perhaps the ATA could better spend their time and money questioning why it is that only (?) the UK finds it necessary to ban lead shot in the first place and getting a lobby together to overturn the ruling which will then allow their own members to profit from these sales.
I wonder if any studies have been done to discover if numbers of birds sick with lead in their crops have declined since the ban was introduced. No? Well start there then!

That`d get my vote. I miss lead shot.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I wonder if any studies have been done to discover if numbers of birds sick with lead in their crops have declined since the ban was introduced.
Like I said before, birds were found (from the Norfolk area) that were suffering from lead poisoning and with lead shot in their gizzards. However, at that time we also had a lot of petrol driven boats that were using leaded petrol and it may have been that which was causing teh swan deaths and the lead shot was coincidental. Sadly we can't prove otherwise now since both lead shot and leaded petrol are now banned.