Wendi's PB Tench

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Chuffed to bits for the missus, it was a beautiful tench. I think we will recognise it if we catch it again.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Well done Wendi...what a cracking tench.....be careful though Steve will divorce you soon if you keep beating him lol ;-)

Girl power (",)

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Wow what a corker, nice fish Wendi. Anyone would be chuffed with that!

I

Ian Cloke

It ought to be Wendi showing you how to fish Steve;o)

Cracking fish:))

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Steve when will you learn thats why the gentleman of yesteryear left their wives at home.Clonking fish Wendy maybe you should start fishing the matches and Steve can do the raffle.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
What a perfectly shaped fish, what a paddle, well done Wendi....

Next time though hold it a a few inches lower...purely for photographic purposes you understand, two thirds an all that.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Yep it was 6lb 2oz and she had a 5lb 8oz too! Both fish had massive paddles and were in mint condition, apart from the split tail.

I blanked!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cheers Wend, I'm getting a bit a of an inferiority complex now ;-)

Wendi has done me on pike and tench now. They all whoop me butt, Little Sis has done it too with the chub on Throop!

Beginners luck I reckon!

I must stop taking them to my favourite venues!

I don't really care if they whoop me though to be honest, to see the look and the smile is worth a million P.B's!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
B.C. Wendi has just explained the two thirds concept to me, I worked out the two inches for myself............no chance!

;-)

Cider Bob had a 7lb 4oz tench and a 18lb 8oz carp the same day, haven't seen his pics yet.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Blimey Wend a Tench over 6, well done!

How many targets left now?

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Damn and I thought I did well yesterday having 4 tench all 3-4lb, only one didn't manage to either tangle with the bloke next to me or dive under tree roots and need the aid of some helpful anglers and their landing nets to help me free them! superb fish though, they really do fight hard and know where all the snags are!

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Did you measure it Steve?

I used to fish a lake in the 70's called Llyn Hellig near Holywell in North Wales.

Gonna keep this short due to Mrs Bones wanting to use my Amstrad 2086.

It was a 28 acre water with the deepest part of the lake no more than 3 foot, most of it was no more than 18 inches.

In 1962 in one of the worst winters on record, the whole of the lake froze over virtually solid to the bottom.

When the thaw eventually arrived thousands upon thousands of dead Tench had to be removed, so many in fact they were causing a health hazard.

99% of the fish stock was wiped out during that deep freeze except for a few hardy specimens.

The remaining stock sample managed to spawn and then an ecological miracle took place.

The successful progeny had acres upon acres of fertile bottom to feast upon and grew like no tomorrow, no less than five years later huge catches of 5lb and 6lb Tench were the norm.

This was the era where Rev Alston held the Tench record at 8-08.

At that time a Lyn Hellig 6lb tench measured 21 inches in length.

A year later a number of fish topped 7lb in weight but it was not to last.

Successful spawnings in the intermediate years ensured more competition and within a few years the 21 inch Tench had dropped to around 5lb.

Unlike today those fish lived on natural food and not on anglers bait so they could not increase their weight much more.

The reason for my length measurement was that Wendi's fish looks far in excess of 21 inches and obviously is not full of spawn.

I reckon that Wendi's fish come September/ October could approach 8lb plus and quite possible 9lbs.

Again superb specimen and well done.