Tiresome Anglers

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Temperatures dropped today and most people were in their thermal suits. I don?t blame the Carp lads for wrapping up because it was really cold.

However, I don?t think people were acting very responsibly when they zipped their bivvy doors up. How long does it take you to get out of your bivvy? Once you have got out of your zipped up sleeping bag that is. I have timed people, (30 seconds ) and sometimes more, I don?t think this is very good practice, do you?

Matty C

Reaction score
Ive often pondered over this too Baz.. Ive not done many overnighters (only two infact) but both times were pretty cold during the night.. both times I was more morally comfortable sleeping in my clothes and thermals, opening my sleeping bag and using it as a dovet, and leaving my bivvie doors open.. sure my face got a bit chilly during the night, but if I were to get a run, I would be there in no more than 3 or 4 seconds, rather than 30 like you say..

just takes some common sense.. if youre too cold to get out of the bivvie intime to hit a run, wind in when you go to sleep..

C

Cakey

your buying cheap shit zips then ......mine has a crash zip and Im out in a few secs

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I too have a decent sleeping bag that has a crash zip (JRC 5 season Storm), but is extremely rare that I zip up. But thats just my own personal preference.

Being a fat b*****d, I have trouble enough just rolling out of my bedchair!

If it is really lashing down with rain (pissistently) then I sometimes zip one side of the bivvy door, with a bucket or something pinning down the other side, that way in the night, should I be fortunate enough to get a run, I can just crash through the opening without fiddling for zips.

Reaction score
What have you done to the page Baz ,you lemon !

I may zip up one side now and again if pissing down but only the wife`s side and when i`m fishing on my own i take the profile which has no front but as never been a problem .
But i have seen many bivvies all zipped up on the hottest of nights .
Can`t understand it ,unless they are scared of the big bad bailiff .

C

Cakey

never ever zip up my sleeping bag.................got stuck in one once bedchair went up in the air and I ended up in my cooker stuff by the time I hit my rods I tore the bag ,broke me cooker and shit everywhere

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Please try and keep thngs on a sensible level if it isn't too much truble.

Cakey says, mine has a crash zip and I am out in seconds. Just like most of you are awake at the first bleep I suppose.
It doesn't take too much thought to face the bivvy door away from the prevailing wind or rain does it?
What was wrong with the page Les?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Oh, and before any of you say here comes Baz the big bad bailiff, All I did was to issue warnings by writing in the backs of their cards.

C

Cakey

Like all good carp anglers I like to see the whole lake the whole time.......................sorry

NIGE K

Reaction score
i have only been on one overnighter but i didnt zip the door or my bag simply cos i didnt think i would have made it to the rods in time(and im also fat like malc).but i did notice alot of bivvies zipped up when i walked round the lake early morning.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Like all good carp anglers I like to see the whole lake the whole time.

Even with a see through door, it takes longer to get out of. You should know better Cakey.

The worst place I have seen for bivvy doors being zipped up is Pendle View. every time I see somebody asking about the place on here, it makes me cringe. I know the kind of angler that goes on there.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It is good to see a number of Carpers agreeing with me for a change.

I

Ian Cloke

The guys I've seen bivvied up take an age to respond to their alarms. I'm not having a dig at anyone, but this is my experience with SOME bivvied up anglers. They don't have remotes, and have a radio blaring out so loud it drowns the sound of their alarm, then when they have a kip, they fasten their bivvy up and get wrapped up in their sleeping bag. It's such anglers that get a bad name for everyone else....

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I don't understand why so many carp anglers zip uo the bivvy door in anything other than very wet and windy weather.

Most modern bivvy's allow the front to be rolled back allowing a better view of the water.

S

Stevie 12345

I dont know why anglers need bivvies in the middle of the day anyway- on some of the waters I fish there is no night fishing yet its like bivvy city