Etang De Vaumigny

Wooly

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone any news or info on how Vaumigny is fishing at the moment?
I'm off there shortly and can't wait to get to grips with some of Franks lovely carp and sturgeon.

Wooly

Reaction score
I've always considered Cakey a bit of an authority on the place. Frank speaks very highly of him and rates him one of the best anglers on the place, I'd of thought if anyone knew how it might be fishing it would probably be him.

C

Cakey

just heard from Frank a 42lb out today

we was there last week Wooly and it fished very well but the chats beat me I dont mind admitting they even took my tigers but I still had carp to 37lb so not to bad cats and big sturgeon didnt want to play (or the chats were beating them to the bait )
still we fed the peacocks for you

hot swims were no1 island snags and snags on the road bank
4 and 5 fished ok
the bay and 8 and 10 were no good
in the day times we went into the woods and stalked a load
as I say not one of our better weeks but still good fun and looking forward to next years trip

C

Cakey

Malc if Im already out there he wont be going .....he will be coming

Wooly

Reaction score
Cakey, thanks for the info. I'm off this coming weekend. I need some carping therapy and am hoping that Vaumigny sorts me out. I wasn't going to go this year as I have a trip planned to Millstone Pool in September but I enjoy fishing there so much that I just couldn't resist another trip. My mate from last year is absolutely gagging to get back out there, hopefully it will not disapoint him.
I'm going to be busy tonight meshing baits up to try and keep the chats at bay, they were an absolute pain last year, we were catching them up to nearly 2lb in weight - specimen boilie munchers.

The weather forecast looks good for some sunshine at last, perhaps that will turn the sturgeon and cats on. I'd love to catch a big cat from there. Someone I know was looking for a good French water to fish, I recommended Vaumigny, he went out in March and managed a few, jammy sod had two forties, biggest 42lb. This was the same fish I had last September at 36 1/2.
I'll post our results when I get back.

Peacocks? Now that's some posh BBQ nosh.

Malc, why the curiosity, are you planning a trip yourself?

Wooly

Reaction score
Just back this weekend from Vaumigny, the fishing was quite hard and slow at times. I think this was probably the hardest I've ever worked on a French trip. Due to the huge head of mini catfish in the lake our tactics were based on trying to keep bait in the swim at all times. Not easy when you see the rate at which the poisson chat can munch their way through bait. Constant use of the throwing stick and spod takes its toll on the body, baiting became some sort of torture.
Some Dutch lads on the lake were convinced that the fish in the snags by them were spawning, or, as they liked to say, ?They are having sex in the trees!?
This and the changeable weather probably accounted for the quiet periods.
For those interested, the stats for the trip were as follows:
28 fish caught, me 18, my mate Chris 10. Average weight per fish being just under 25 ? lbs.
6 sturgeon between 21 and 48lbs
21 mirrors ? biggest 40.02
5 x 30s to 34lb
8 x 20s with 4 over 25lb
7 doubles
1 common ? 27.04
A further 6 fish were lost during the week due to hook pulls. As usual all of the fish fought like stink. Some of the sturgeon runs against a tight drag were something to behold. For me I found it a very satisfying trip, if somewhat hard on the old body. I was made up with the 40, as they are not that common a capture from Vaumigny. This was my first from there in 116 captures over the last 4 years, as was the common, which was a new PB for me.
If anyone is looking for a good French venue then I would definitely recommend Etang De Vaumigny and at only ?20 per day, really good value. 1 in every 4 fish caught was bigger than 30lb. If you are thinking of going just give me a shout and I?ll pass on any information I can.