What would you do?

caferacer

Reaction score
Recently I replied to an ad for a mint Mitchell 300 for 50 euro(£40).When I got it I was shocked to find it was a late 60s Garcia 300,boxed with all documents in their sealed packaging,both spools have the original stckers on them,the reel has never been used.Im afraid to use it,should I use it?

beerweasel

Reaction score
Why did you buy it if it wasn't to use it ?
It is not a museum piece just use it or sell it for a profit you jammy ****. :)

agamemnon

Reaction score
you jammy git :)
i still use my garcia 300 alongside a mitchell 300 for small pond carp action and bream/tench fishing on my local ressy. in my opinion they are the best reels ever made

caferacer

Reaction score
It was the correct box,I rang the vendor explaining it was an extremely more valuable reel than he thought(he`s an angler after all)and sent him on extra money.I thought the reel was going to be an 80s 300 that I could use and abuse,I wouldnt sell it,this one`s a keeper.

A

alan whittington

Maybe you should throw it in the bin as junk:eek::eek::eek:;):D,just use it mate,its only a reel,not an arm or a leg.

BarryC

Reaction score
Use it, its what it was made for. If you want something to look at buy a painting.

john woody

Reaction score
use it m8 thats what they are made for just look after it i use to have the match i wish i had them now good reels they are.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Don't reach old age and think, why didn't I use that reel....Go out and enjoy it now rather than leave to someone else to reap the benefits!

Nice reel....

flightliner

Reaction score
I rang the vendor explaining it was an extremely more valuable reel than he thought(he`s an angler after all)
Caferacer, That was a really nice thing you did mate! Puts a lot of tackle hunting shitehawkes to shame-- well done you!!!
ps-- you have excellant taste in reels as well!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I rang the vendor explaining it was an extremely more valuable reel than he thought(he`s an angler after all)and sent him on extra money.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Obviously NOT from Yorkshire!

Two ways to look at it, keep it as is if you want to resell it in 20 years time at a (hopefully) reasonable profit. However, if you think that they won't be collectable then, use it now and enjoy it (if you ever can enjoy using a Mitchell ;) :)).

soffit

Reaction score
There was a ABU 501 that sold for nearly £90 on Ebay recently because the vender thought it had never been used. About as stupid as buying a numberplate like ****1 or somesuch. Both will appreciate or hold their price but its a bit sad really...

caferacer

Reaction score
Use it I shall,there is method in my honesty/madness-last year a guy I know lost his job and was looking for a fly reel and line,I rooted in the shed and found a good reel and I loaded it up with old braid for backing and a good #7wt line,I refused payment so he post an immaculate 506 knowing my love of long trotting for big Shannon dace.I do it a lot,if I find something I dont use I give it to a young/broke angler,leave the profiteering to them that are interested in such...

flightliner

Reaction score
Obviously NOT from Yorkshire!

Two ways to look at it, keep it as is if you want to resell it in 20 years time at a (hopefully) reasonable profit. However, if you think that they won't be collectable then, use it now and enjoy it (if you ever can enjoy using a Mitchell ).

OK jeff-- as its Christmas and the season of good cheer I,ll bite , I'm a yorkie as I suppose you know. Some years ago I went to purchase my first shotgun, I had been told that it would be a hundred pounds by a friend of the seller and when he ( the seller )appeared at the door he was a very old gentleman who gestured me inside. He brought out the gun-- an old but still very servicable side by side-- He told me of his shooting career and how he was getting to old to do it justice hence the sale.
I knew from the start that I would buy the item and eventually offered him the money. He shook his head and said that fifty was ok.
I told him then that if he was a much younger man I would accept but told him that he could have the hundred if he so wished as I didnt want to leave the premises feeling that I had cheated an old/kind man of his dues.
He said he knew what he was doing and that he had once had a bargain gun buy and that it pleased him to give me the same . So somewhat reluctantly I accepted.
I was walking out of the house when he called me to stop saying"Dont walk out with the gun under your arm, the neighbours will likely ring the police--here put it in one of these" He threw me a very old tatty gunslip that he was going to throw away so I placed the gun into it and left.
Later I cleaned the slip up by polishing the brass buckles and neatsfooting the leather straps and nosecone and noticed it was a "Brady". I checked one out the next time I was in the gun dealers and it was priced at a hundred and five pounds. I like to think the old gent knew that too!
Back to reality-- " if anyone can enjoy using a Mitchell" Now let me tell you sir---- Oh sod it ,its Christmas Have a good one mate!!!

soffit

Reaction score
Don't reach old age and think, why didn't I use that reel....Go out and enjoy it now rather than leave to someone else to reap the benefits!

Nice reel....

Yer. How many minty reels do we need? About one and the rest should be used. There is all sorts of sad gits got their personal museums of abu 500 series making a 40yr old often more expensive than a new one. They are nice but are just old reels FFS;)