Which Whip?

Nick Bastock 3

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of whip fishing for bleak and dace on rivers over the last few years. Up until now i've used a cheap telescopic whip which cost around ?15, but its a tad heavy and your arm is dropping off after a 5 hour match.

I am now looking to upgrade to a better quality whip, but i'm finding they are hard to locate. Are there any you would recommend and where can i get one form?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Decent Daiwa or maver system whips are the way to go but a lot more expensive than ?15! Maver one is ?150 Daiwa ?280 (offer prices). These take you to around 8 metres but usable at any length.

You might find a second hand Daiwa one if you are lucky; they've been around since the 80's.

Googling whips is interesting!!!!!

T

The Monk

Googling whips is interesting!!!!!

yes I can imagine Mark

Lee Woodhouse

Reaction score
Hello Nick
Where is the midlands are you based?

What length are you looking at?

I've got 7 whips that i aint used since all the gudeon dissapeared from the Staffs/Worcs canal so i might be able to sort something out for you.

Nick Bastock 3

Reaction score
Hi Lee,

I live on the North side of Brum, Streetly by Sutton Coldfield.

Ideally, i want one at around 7M, but can be used shorter.

Drop us an email and let me know if you've got anthing that length and how much you want for it.

My emil address is nick@bastock.wanadoo.co.uk

Lee Woodhouse

Reaction score
Sorry Nick but i have only up to 4 1/2 metres...I've got a Daiwa system at 6m but i want to keep that one just in case.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick,

I certainly wouldn't argue with Mark W's comments, although my preferrence has always been for Milo whips, especially in the shorter lengths upto 5?m.

The Alborella whips were excellent and if you can get them from e-bay then you won't go far wrong. For Bleak or Dace fishing they are ideal and I have had Bream, Ide and Tench to just over 4lbs on the Milo whips.

Also, Milo made a lover 8m whip called the 'Luxury' which was a put-over except for the top 3 sections which were telescopic. Again, if you might find one on e-bay.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Fisherman's Friend - 0121 420 2925 - has Daiwa Harrier X 7 metre (successor to the Sytem whip) ?99 from ?189. Worth a call if you're prepared to pay that sort of money and if they've still got it.

TheNomadicOne

Reaction score
Garbolino Allegria 666. Superb action for flicking light rigs out or for fishing very long line to hand. Can also be used as a short take apart pole for hemp, punch or squatt fishing by removing the solid flicktip.