Bait soaks

goody

Reaction score
With a wide range of bait soaks now being available and at no small cost. Do they improve your chances of catching or are they over rated?

I must admit to being one who can't be bothered using them and have read of artificial baits being given the bait soak treatment.

G

Gary Knowles

with the exeption of lobworks ALL my baits are flavoured or soaked.

I'm convinced it makes a difference...

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Have started to do it occasionally now, although haven't used it long enough to say if it makes a differnce. I also keep my fake sweetcorn in sweetcorn juice hoping it will soak up the flavours.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Goody, sometimes but like Christian I cannot say whether it definately gives me an edge when I do.

Remember though that you don't have to use the bait companies own glugs. You can use all sorts from supermarkets to flavour baits.

Meat soaked in tikka powder and a little oil for example or the shrimp paste from chinese supermarkets 'becha-somthing-or-other' I forget the actual name of it now.

Experiment, make you own halibut glug by crushing some old halibut pellets and adding a light sunflower oil.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I don`t doubt that the soaks and flavoures produced by tackle companies work but don`t forget you can buy many a good alternative at a fraction of the price from many a good supermarket.

Reaction score
Glugs? 100% convinced. Rivers, lakes, I don't care, with the exception of naturally juicy baits, all mine are glugged.

In the fridge at the moment are various meats in glugs, dynamite's mighty marine chunks and various boilies. Also there is a litre bottle with premixed glug!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

There is NO way you can prove whether they work or not....Who can say that when you catch a fish on a glugged bait that you wouldn't have caught it anyway ....

But if using them gives you more confidence in your bait then they work .....

B

Brendan Ince i carnt spell

i agree with crazy frog on this one there is no way of proving it but the way i glug mine the way i look at it is it carnt do any harm and if it gives you that extra little something that might just put that pb on the bank then its worth it ? the cost isnt thet much and it doesnt do any harm

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I thought the big thing now in carp circles were "reverse" glugs ie lake water, so that the hookabait mimicked the apperence/smell of a freebie boily that had been lying on the lake bed for a few days.

Reaction score
Nigel,

I can see the argument in this, and my own view on this subject is the same as any other advice when trying to talk 100% about any aspect of fishing.

You have to apply it to your own fishing. On a water which which sees bait (boilies) introduced in quantity every day, fish may well become suspicious of beds of bait unless they have been there a day. In this case, a washed out boilie may well be appropriate.

However, if you only use one boilie in this instance, a glugged one may be more effective. My current syndicate lake last year was subject to fairly intense prebaiting campaigns. I decided I couldn't (or was unwilling)to compete with this, so I decided on a small pva stick in conjunction with a single glugged bait approach. This was successful beyond my wildest imagining!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Good point.Do you think glugged baits with subsequent high levels of attraction work best therefore in isolation.It strikes me that if you have a number of free offerings with one standing out because it has been glugged, it could make fish wary?

Reaction score
Nige,

Absolutely right!

But then, if all the baits are the same, and there were a hundred or so out there lying around, wouldn't it also make sense to draw attention to your hookbait, so that Mr. carp doesn't get bored and wander off before it gets to yours?

That's the problem with fishing, just as you're convinced you've got everything sorted, the fish come along and change the rules!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
On the otherhand it could stimulate "cherrypicking" something that I think fish do a lot of.

One day I will do an article with the Fish in my pond as the guinea pigs.

It will be enlightening I am sure for those that do not rate glugs.

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm with Ed on this. You can never be sure whether a soak or dip has helped in catching a fish. It's all down to whether or not it gives you confidence.

I've had some boilies soaking in Dynamite's halibut oil with and extra crab style flavouring added for up to 2 years now. Whenever I use them - nitto. Switch over to a standard drilled halibut donkey-choker and I get a bite almost immediately. Yet, I like the extra smell the oil soaked ones give off.

Reaction score
Okay guys, big problem which I have never seen adequately explained in any article:

All theorised baiting patterns and rig / bait presentations are based on ONE assumption, which in 99% of cases I believe to be wrong.

All of your target fish will feed in the same way, with identical approaches and pre-requisites, given any prevailing conditions.
(please note, I did not say at the same time, as I think that it is generally accepted that not all fish feed at precisely the same moment).

Discuss!

F

Frothey

Glugs make a vast difference!!!

Why would you want a bait the same as everyone elses?

Thats why you shouldnt buy them off the shelf.... and a lot of the thick boilie glugs are basically flavoured glycerine anyway.

Yet, I like the extra smell the oil soaked ones give off.

you dont smell like a fish though jeff. fishy, but not like a fish :)

F

Frothey

Agree with you John, but thats in a way more a rig thing - different strains/sizes feed in different ways.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
To my mind the first thing a fish picks up is the smell otherwise they would never find food purely by sight in coloured water and even lake water can get very coloured. If you have ever tried float fishing maggots in very coloured rivers you will know that bites are very few and far between and I am convinced that this is because the bait isn't visible. One of the best baits in flood conditions on a river is a blooming great lump of luncheon meat because it gives off smell and the fish home in on it.

I believe smell does make a difference but it doesn't mean that fish are attracted to all smells, some that are constantly used they may associate with danger and therefore avoid but they probably investigate it before rejecting it.