wirral lake dying?

G

gerry hardwick

for many years i have fished a lake of about 1.5 acres called roodee mere in royden park,for the last 5/6 years i have seen the steady decline of the lake with the more angling pressure it gets,yes people are stil catching,but i believe its only a matter of time before there is a wipe out of stocks as the water quality declines the more often carp anglers are turning up with 4 rods and filling it in.i hope someone from the association of wirral angilng clubs (AWAC) reads this and takes action AS THERE SEEMS TO BE NO CONTROL ON THIS WATER

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Gerry, I understand your frustrations, but have you tried contacting the angling club directly before posting on here? If you think they don't have proper control of their water, then they need to know about it directly, not from a post on an internet forum.

It's no good hoping that they'll read it. They need to be contacted directly with your concerns. Apologies if you've already done this!

Let us know how you get on.

Janet

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Roydon Park Lake is a Council owned water the control of which was passed to a loose grouping called AWAC to manage.
In theory AWAC manage and oversee a number of waters on Wirral council property but in truth do little in terms of bailiffing or rules, stocking, swim and lake maintenance.
Because my angling club's name is similar we get all sorts of idiots trying to fish our waters and when challeged they claim " Oh, I thought it was an ADAC water".
Afraid I agree with Gerry. If I was you pal I would take the matter up with a sympathetic councillor. Only problem is they will will simply close the water to everyone.Its a dilema.
You only have to see what happened to the pool in Wallasey last year( a major fish kill) to be concened about Roydon Park.

E

EC

Gerry if you are a member of an angling club associated with AWAC you can bring the matter up via your club rep.

Failing that, contact them direct, you should be able to do this via the number on your club card.

In my experience of dealing with AWAC (a few years ago admittedly) the personnel were very approachable and open to suggestion especially from people who were prepared to actually do something about it themselves, such as bailiffing work parties etc.

The main problem is mate, is that the Wirral always has had little in the way of angling facilities and what facilities there are generally get hammered.

G

gerry hardwick

sorry for the delay in my response folks,but am out of the country at the moment.i do intend contacting people about this matter when i return,as i was there the day before i left uk, but i thought i'd put this thread on to try to get the ball rolling ,hopefully the right person has read this. any all of your points are correct as i know. hopefully when b,head park lakes are open it will take some pressure off what was a nice quiet place .then it maybe left alone as i intend to. peter what does ADAC stand for nice pic ec

E

EC

AWAC...association of wirral angling clubs.

Clubs like Cammel Laird, LOBOL, Stork AC, Willaston, and once upon a time the Oyster Catcher amongst many others make up this association and 'run' the lakes on behalf of the council Gerry.

G

gerry hardwick

ADAC NOT awac ec .i,ve probably been a member of most of the awac clubs at one time or other since i was a youngster,when i did alot of match fishing

E

EC

Sorry Gerry, I stand corrected mate, I do think Peter meant AWAC in his post however.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
You're right Eddie. I said AWAC to start with and then switched to ADAC, which is something entirely different and related to my work.
Apologies, I meant AWAC.

gerry h

Reaction score
ec do you know anything about the overflow these days ,seen recently looks good

E

EC

I've moved now Gerry, am a little out of touch mate, my nephew had a few decent rudd and roach there last year though.

Any news on who is going to be managing it?

gerry h

Reaction score
i have been asking around ,i will found out more soon and let you know,but i know that its difficult to get to now
cheers dixie

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

is that the Bidston overflow ?

Used to be some big eels in there

gerry h

Reaction score
yes ,and some monster perch before they got wiped out by the perch disease,not so sure about the eels now the dock next door has been filled in

gerry h

Reaction score
i bet his net was in a state, the place is full to the brim with snags.a club ,the railway ,i was in years ago had permision to net it as it was planned to be filled in and they only caught a few fish as it was almost imposible to do a sweep with the net

EDDY STOCKER

Reaction score
HAS ANYONE FISHED THE SMALL LAKES NEXT TO THE DRAIN AT BIDSTON TRAIN STATION MISTAKENY THOUGHT IT WAS THE OVERFLOW N HAVE BEEN BAITING IT 4 LAST 3MONTHS, HAVNT FISHED IT YET ANY1 ANY IDEA OF WOT THE LAKES HOLD

Philip Parsons

Reaction score
Anyone know of best access to the Overflow as i have limited walking. I have fished there for over 30years with very good sport.

E

EC

Phil there is a road near there now mate and a cycle path also. Not sure how to get a car up there, but the cycle path goes from behind B and Q over that new-ish footbridge!

gerry h

Reaction score
i am amazed this thread is alive again chaps

I have had a little investigation in the summer and i think you have to park in B+Q and hike round the path ,i have looked at coming from the other way but there is nowhere to leave your car if you dare and they wont let you drive up from the tip entrance.

I have had a little bit of form back from conversations and by all accounts the only lads fishing it are carpers with alot of hard long sessions and prebaiting they have had a few .And apparently the perch may be back I intend to go soon and check it out

Apparently the rodents are as big and bad as they used to be so any night fishing you,ll have to hang all your gear on the fence

ES we used to have a dabble in the ponds near the station on our way to the pond on the golf course when i was a lad ,but even though they looked good we never had anything out appart from loads of bloodworm we had more out of the drain/river fender odd roach and specimen jackies