My Story, Part 1 ? Jeff Woodhouse

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

He is one of my favourite characters on FM.

Sure we have crossed keyboards on occasions, but quite honestly I love the bloke. We have run up our telephone bills on many occasions discussing all manner of things from the early days of specimen hunting to world politics and how movies are made.

Good on you mate!

Reaction score
Great tales, Jeff, and a real sense of social history. What about seeing if the Tameside press will publish......or do you fear you may never be allowed back?

Looking forward to the rest of the material

W

Wolfman Woody

"He is one of my favourite characters on FM."
From Ron, that's better than getting an OBE from Her Maj.

The article has two exaggerations.

A small one made by me. I didn't need glasses as a kid, but the point was made to illustrate how tight dad was. I wanted a sledge once and he wouldn't buy a nice sleek one. Instead he made me one that weighed about the same as an Austin A30. I only had one run downhill in it and had to abandon it as I didn't have the strength to drag it back uphill.

The second (and third, fourth, fifth, and sixth) are all Graham's. Talk posh my foot. I met a guy today and first thing he asked was "What part of the north are you from?"

Next? Rest? No satisfying some people.

And why are we in the carp section?

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Nice one Jeff! I reckon you sound a bit Northen, just a bit though.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Origin of Digs.

Probably from when people lived in sod houses.
These were your digs, where you lived.

W

Wolfman Woody

Well researched Baz and as you can see above, noted!

JimmyFloyd

Reaction score
Great article errr Soddy!

I must say that Jeff is a top bloke. He helped me out by sending me some porcupine and crow quills a few weeks ago after I put a post in the tackle and bait forum. Not only that but he also included a letter with advice on how to prepare and use the quills, and wishing me all the best. That sort of generosity of time and willingness to share hard won knowledge means a hell of a lot. Thanks Jeff!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hardy Botts theres a name from the past Woody. What canal you spinning on?.Good article by the way.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

You can find the odd posh northerner you know Jeff. But they all live down south.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I'm a posh Northerner and I live in the North old chap!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Nice to see you have kept your northern humour Jeff,even though your a posh fella now .I am sure the wicker box in the picture is the one my dad got me out of a skip ,the way it leans towards the water ready to give you a dip at any moment .

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I live in a sod house.
You live in a Woodhouse.
Ron lives in a Clay house.
Graham lives in a Mars den.

W

Wolfman Woody

"What canal you spinning on?"

I think that was the bit between Woodley and Ashton, probably around teh Newton area there. We'd go to the Junction in Ashton and then walk up towards Hyde and Woodley (pub called the Navigation if I remember). There were always a few small jacks around in there. The Stalybridge part of the Huddersfield Narrow was still all full of rubbish then, old prams, cars, lumps of concrete, with no room left for the fish.

As for Little Al (he seems to think he was Big Al and the other was Little Al), he came down to visit us back in early April. It was cold and windy, I wanted to take him to a nice commercial or other lake and get him fishing again. It would have made a nice addition to the story, but he can't ake the cold too well these days.

He plays bowls now, or did until his operation. It was one year ago today when I visited him in Tameside hospital with his 100 plus staples holding his stomach and chest together. He's made a wonderful recovery and bloody good luck to him, but the weather beat us that weekend and we called off the fishing.

I'm hoping there will be lots of other occasions when I can renew his aquaintance with fish - and bigger ones than he ever caught then!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Ron: "I'm a posh Northerner and I live in the North old chap!"

Yes Ron, but you're a hybrid.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Baz, we always had a den in the woods when I was kid. We used to have a fire in it and smoke dog ends, or the baccy from them in acorn pipes. We'd catch roach, perch and pike from the nearby cut and fry 'em in old frying pan on the fire. A few spuds were in the fire and we'd scoff the lot before we went home for tea.

Sometimes we had a real treat when we'd caught a few brown trout from the Dane and fried them instead.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Woody, loved it, and as ron said "one of my favourite friends on FM". I love him to bits!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Aahh yes. Half acorn pipes with dried grass. We saw Tom Sawyer doing it at the pictures, so we copied him. Turnips and spuds thrown on a fire, they were the days.