Do you rely on one

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
When i was fishing the other night, i thought i would try to use a different knot for tying my hook on. I have always used a knot which Graham taught me the Palomar,so i tried the (don't know what it's called) one where you go around your main line 6 or 7 times and back through the small loop.

I obviously didn't do it right, i lost a big fish! I have tried them before and lost fish, so that's why i will always use the palomar because i know it works.

Do you tend to stick to the same knot for tying your hooks?

I think the knot is the most important thing in fishing, because if that isn't right, you may as well go home.

Dave Chilton did an article on knots on here a while back which i printed out and tried to follow, i still struggle with them.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Sounds like a half blood knot to me Wendy.

Always prone to slipping in my experience but some still swear by it.

As an alternative to the Palomar which can be a bit bulky, try and perfect the 4 turn grinner.

That Dave Chilton article is a good one.I am now using his suggested alternative to the figure of eight knot for loops.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Nige i have just been reading about that suggested knot instead of the figure 8, i think i will have a play around with some old line tonight and have another good read at Dave Chiltons article.

I find though that if i'm shown how to do it i am ok and i remember it, if i do it from paper, i don't know if it will work or not till i have that special fish on! Then i realise it was wrong!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Wendy get yourself a knot tester and thouroughly test the knots at home.This should give you more confidence that you have got the technique right.

My approach to knots is that if I have any doubt as to how well I have tied a knot then I do it again.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Cheers Nige, i'll look out for one of them knot testers.

I may even go and spend a couple of hours with Dave Chilton, for him to show me.

T

The Monk

Dave`s very good Wendy his business relys on his product knowledge of course and he has researched what knots to use with which line type, and knows his stuff, you have to be careful though with some products and line types and some knot types, some knots don`t work well with certain lines. I used to be a great fan of the knotless knot until I had problems with the old Ghost line, the line used to shatter over the eye, so its horses for courses really, know your line and what knot works best and soak the knot overnight before testing it on a new line

S

Shrek

For trout flies I use a tucked blood knot and never had one slip on me yet.

For salmon flies, I use the turle knot. Again, it's never slipped even when trying to land a swan in take off mode!!!!

Reaction score
Went through a phase of using the palomar, never any problems with it. However after accompanying son on a guiding day with Des Taylor have always used the grinner since. Agree with Monk that different lines have varied behaviour, notice this most often when whipping small spade ends with smaller spades.

Posh

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Monk glad it wasn't just me who had that.

I tend to use the knotless knot or grinner for the hook. Then a palomar or grinner on the swivel. Although I have to admit I've forgotten how to tie the palomar as I haven't used it for a while.

When I first started to use the grinner I lost a big barbel and a catfish using it due to my crap knots. After those I went home and practised for half an hour to perfect it.

T

The Monk

for most of my fishing I still use the good old tucked blood knot with a tip of superglue or matt vanish, you have to make sure the type of glue or vanish doesnt attack the line though, some glues attack monofiliments and certain braids, especially were the glue finishes, a weak spot can occur

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Stick to the palomar Wendy, its one of the few knots that does'nt strangle its self. I tried the knot you where on about and you have to put it through the swivel eye twice then put over the line 5 or 6 time then back through but i have no confidence in it now. I just stick to the Palomar.

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes it was the half blood knot you used Wendy and I can remember reading, perhaps around 1965/6, to always use the "Tucked Blood Knot". To achieve the, use the same knot as the half, but after you have gone through the loop created by the twists, go back again through the loop you have just created to go through the twists. If that makes sense.

See here for an example. And here.

However, do be careful tightening this one, especially sliding it up to the ring. It needs lots of lubrication, usually spittle off your tongue, and do it very slowly.

Dave doesn't like the Grinner (or Clinch as it's sometimes known) knot to be used on fluorocarbon or fluoro coated lines like his Krystonite. He's obviously tested it thoroughly as did I test a grinner knot once on Krystonite.

I didn't measure the pulling effort, but suffice to say that when the line broke at the knot, the hook shot off with the sound of a .45 being fired and I have never seen the hook since. That was a hell of a force I put on the line and from that couldn;t understand why he was so opposed to the grinner on Krystonite. But, hey-ho, it's what you prefer to use.

All that I will say is - that should I ever lose my sight, I could still tie a grinner as I often do in complete darkness. Finding the hole in the eye of the hook is the difficult bit.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Has any one tried to use crimps on flouro? i cant get them to work, they all ways pull through.

Reaction score
THe grinner and the cinch are slightly different knots. The cinch is more akin to the speade end whipping knot.

As a rule, I use the cinch knot for most things, I can, however, rememeber a completey invaluable piece of advice given by Rod Hutchinson, that i have sworn by ever since:

Some knots are inherently stronger than others, and the grinner knot is stronger than the half/tucked blood knot. But give me a well tied blood knot over a badly tied grinner any day! In other words, if you tie the one you know best, use that until you are 100% confident in your alternative.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Jeff, interesting what you say about grinners and Krystonite.I have always used grinners with it and have had no problem.

nicky

Reaction score
Wendy I would go with woody on a half tucked blood knot for small hooks say 16's and 18's.

I used an ordinary half blood knot like the one you described for years, but i now use the half tucked blood knot, which you get by tucking the tag end through the extra loop, never had one of these knots slip or break using mono where as i had with the ordinary half blood knot.

Palomar are excellent for larger hooks say 4 or 6 and tying swivels, i find it a bit bulky for small hooks though

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I once watched an elderly chap tye a spade end knot. He didn't even look at his line while he was tyeing it. He said it was something that he practiced doing in a dark room for when he is night fishing.
Very impressive it was too, I can tell you.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

All the time mate. They've got some right dirty habits you know.