Multi length rods

mol

Reaction score
There seems to be quite a few multi length floats rods around these days. Are they a complete comprise, working best at one length or are they a good way of getting value for money?

I'm thinking about getting one of the top end dawia float rods and quite like the idea of the 13/15ft rods. Does anybody own one and what do you think of it?

sam vimes

Reaction score
In my experience, it depends on how they are made to be multi-length, the quality of the rod and the intended application.

The Shimano Commercial rods are excellent but this is down to the rod having a single butt and two different length lower sections that fit into it. As far as I'm concerned there's no compromise whatsoever with this type of configuration, particularly with the judicious use of the supplied balance weights. I've not had such good experiences with float rods that have dolly sections to boost the length. Some are a lot better than others though, ranging from acceptable to absolutely horrendous.

I'm a lot less picky about multi-length feeder rods and have had at least one since the early nineties. The fact that they spend most of the time on rests probably accounts for the better impression I have for them over multi-length float rods.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I prefer to use a straight 13' or 15' rather than a 13/15 compromise. A typically bad example of completely ruining the action of a very good 13' rod by sticking the 2' dolly on, IMO, was the original Preston Carbonactive float rod. The only options I would accept, as mentioned above, would be the single butt option with two different length lower sections or two different length butt sections, etc. I have no knowledge of the Dawia but the thought of a 13/15 option does not appeal to me.
Jerry

caesarson

Reaction score
I have the prestons feeder 11 -13 rod. Works out well for me, always wanting to fish different waters. So works for commerical method or estate lake open ended feeder. So having an adjustable rod is worth the money.

Windy

Reaction score
What Sam said /\ If the extra length is a complete and properly tapered butt section then can be ok.

If a Dolly length stuck in the middle of the rod then it inherently has to be paralell sided with no taper and ends up as a flat spot / inconsistency in the otherwise properly tapered rod and feel. Don't touch them.

Richox12

Reaction score
'If a Dolly length stuck in the middle of the rod then it inherently has to be paralell sided with no taper and ends up as a flat spot / inconsistency in the otherwise properly tapered rod and feel' - er, no it doesn't. It's outer diameter and taper can be completely different to the internal and the material it is made from can be completely different to the rest of the rod.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
most of these multi-section rods are a bit of the mark when it comes to performance, what I do know is that the Diawa 17-20ft float rod is a superlative piece of carbon! my mate has one of these and I have had a go, and I must say it is an absolute cracker, well, that's if you have £300 to spare!!

Mark