Venues?

Richard Easom

Reaction score
Hello I just wanted some advice on other rivers to try apart from the Trent for next season. Looking for small rivers generally, I don't know much about the Soar although I have fished it years and years ago. I don't know who controls the fishing I would like to try any more? It was a fast shallow stretch at Redhill, you used to go along a track and the marina would be at the bottom and the part I used to fish was more or less as you came into the complex. There was an old rusting barge there as I can remember. Anyone know it? It looked like it held barbel or two but I was young then and didn't fish for them.

If anyone can provide information on the above place, regarding directions and who controls the fishing I would appreciate it, it will also be useful if anyone could tell me if the barbel reside there?

Just need a few options so anything you provide I would appreciate it.

Ricky

dangermouse

Reaction score
Have you considered the Don? Double figure fish to be had near me. If we`re talking post June 16th I`d be happy to show you around. Could probably get ChrisD (from BH) to come along too if you fancied some company.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Richard

Best advice is to get yourself an O/S map and walk or drive every access point on a river noting who owns what and where. That way a picture develops of which club to join.
If like me you strike really lucky you may get access to a non controlled stretch all for yourself.

or

You can use the idle mans way and stick it up over all the forums and end up on stretches already heavily fished.

Richard Easom

Reaction score
Richard

Best advice is to get yourself an O/S map and walk or drive every access point on a river noting who owns what and where. That way a picture develops of which club to join.
If like me you strike really lucky you may get access to a non controlled stretch all for yourself.

or

You can use the idle mans way and stick it up over all the forums and end up on stretches already heavily fished.

That's good advice mate, but because I am travelling from Nottingham I think the small rivers I want to fish are quite a long way to go for a recce. I am going to look on google earth and try a few areas on the Soar, hopefully where I went as a kid to see what it's like.

Ricky

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Have you considered the Don? Double figure fish to be had near me. If we`re talking post June 16th I`d be happy to show you around. Could probably get ChrisD (from BH) to come along too if you fancied some company.

Great offer mate, I will take you up on that for sure. Will be in touch nearer the time, thanks again.

Ricky

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Richard

Can see you live a distance, but it depends how much effort you want to put into the exercise.

Notts to Leicester is hardly Pole 2 Pole

Bluenose

Reaction score
Richard, some decent advice there already and Judas touches on a relevant point.

A few things you would do well to consider. Some clubs do not allow members to publicise catches. Also fellas who go out and do a bit of pioneering ie, get out and fish lesser known rivers/stretches have often put a shed load of effort in to get some reward, they're hardy likely to broadcast on a public forum if they have any sense.

I would agree with Judas, get out and have a looksee, but I would back it up with a trawl of the web beforehand to find out which clubs own/lease the stretches and if membership is open.

Club websites are a decent starting point!

Richard Easom

Reaction score
Richard

Can see you live a distance, but it depends how much effort you want to put into the exercise.

Notts to Leicester is hardly Pole 2 Pole

Yeah that's fine, I was just thinking of further afield if I had to go to fish the smaller rivers.

cg74

Reaction score
Ricky, all these rivers have resident barbel; take your pick:

Aire
Alne
Anker
Arrow
Arun
Biss
Blythe
Bollin
Bourne
Bristol Avon
Calder
Cherwell
Clyde
Colne
Colnebrook
Dane
Dearne
Derbyshire Derwent
Don
Dorset Stour
Douglas
Dove
Ember
Evenlode
Frome
Goyt
Great Ouse
Hampshire Avon
Hollybrook
Hull
Idle
Irwell
Itchen
Ivel
Kennet
Kentish Stour
Lea
Loddon
Lugg
Marden
Medway
Mole
Nene
Nidd
Ouzel
Penk
Ribble
Rother
Severn
Soar
Sow
St Patricks Stream
Suffolk Stour
Sussex Ouse
Swale
Taff
Tame
Tees
Teme
Thame
Thames
Ure
Vyrnwy
Wandle
Warks Avon
Wear
Wensum
Wey
Wharfe
Windrush
Witham
Worcs Stour
Wye
Yorkshire Derwent
Yorkshire Ouse

PM me if you want a days guiding on the Cherwell and/or the Windrush, my rates are reasonable...
(I'd think all are smaller than the Trent)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could add the Dee (Cheshire) and instead of one Rother as I stated, there are two; Sussex and South Yorks. I'll add more as they come to me but there's plenty to be going on with.... Salwarpe (Worrcs)....

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Ricky, all these rivers have resident barbel; take your pick:

Aire
Alne
Anker
Arrow
Arun
Biss
Blythe
Bollin
Bourne
Bristol Avon
Calder
Cherwell
Clyde
Colne
Colnebrook
Dane
Dearne
Derbyshire Derwent
Don
Dorset Stour
Douglas
Dove
Ember
Evenlode
Frome
Goyt
Great Ouse
Hampshire Avon
Hollybrook
Hull
Idle
Irwell
Itchen
Ivel
Kennet
Kentish Stour
Lea
Loddon
Lugg
Marden
Medway
Mole
Nene
Nidd
Ouzel
Penk
Ribble
Rother
Severn
Soar
Sow
St Patricks Stream
Suffolk Stour
Sussex Ouse
Swale
Taff
Tame
Tees
Teme
Thame
Thames
Ure
Vyrnwy
Wandle
Warks Avon
Wear
Wensum
Wey
Wharfe
Windrush
Witham
Worcs Stour
Wye
Yorkshire Derwent
Yorkshire Ouse

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could add the Dee (Cheshire) and instead of one Rother as I stated, there are two; Sussex and South Yorks. I'll add more as they come to me but there's plenty to be going on with.... Salwarpe (Worrcs)....

You forgot the Eden (Cumbrian) and Tyne. The Northumbrian Derwent hasn't yet but its a Tyne tributary :)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Colin

Anyone can cut n paste

You forgot the Clyde and Tweed, both have produced barbel with the Clyde producing some very good fish for years

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Ricky...3 clubs to consider joining are

loughborough soar as
quorn as
long eaton victoria as

visit bennetts of mountsorell and angling man in leicester...for good advice. Stu killen who runs angling man is a top match angler and knows the soar inside out. bennetts are more specy orionted, if leslie still runs it she'll give good advice...i used to work there.

soar lads are very quiet about what they catch... but join any of those clubs look at there waters and it will soon become obvious where to try first.

Jason

p.s..........cg74 is an arse ricky ignore him :w :w

cg74

Reaction score
Colin

Anyone can cut n paste

You forgot the Clyde and Tweed, both have produced barbel with the Clyde producing some very good fish for years

Yep Phillip, anyone can cut n paste but it seems not everyone can read a list; you'll find the Clyde sandwiched between the Cherwell and Colne.

A couple others to add too the list; rivers Whitewater and Blackwater....

TBH I never knew about the Tweed.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

You forgot the Eden (Cumbrian) and Tyne. The Northumbrian Derwent hasn't yet but its a Tyne tributary :)

John, you're now accepting the Eden has resident barbel in it. Two and a half years back you wrote this: "Heard rumours of barbel (river Severn fish I believe) being introduced close to the M6 on the Eden in the 80's."

So I take it the rumours are true (actually I know the answer, so no need to reply).;)
What about the Peterill (not sure about my spelling but the Eden trib that joins near Carlisle utd's ground)?

Richard, what about stillwater barbel, I reckon Angling Times would be up for a well written article?

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
That's why I don't floatfish Colin

Add the

Exe
Boroughmarsh stream
Welsh Dee (Not Cheshire Dee :) )

How many though will be still "running" in a few years if the abstraction is allowed to continue ?

cg74

Reaction score
p.s..........cg74 is an arse ricky ignore him :w :w

Yeah but I'm not any old arse, I'm an expert one.:cool::eek:mg::D

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

That's why I don't floatfish Colin

Add the

Exe
Boroughmarsh stream
Welsh Dee (Not Cheshire Dee :) )

How many though will be still "running" in a few years if the abstraction is allowed to continue ?

I can't believe Devon's river Exe, Culm and Creedy eluded me, afterr many hours being hounded by chub, bream and carp in a futile bid to bank a Devonshire barbel.

Borough Marsh stream, just apart of the Thames/St Pats/Loddon set up, I ain't messing around with all that..... Hinksey stream, Seacourt stream.... Nah that list is bloody endless... Oxford canal...:eek:mg:

Abstraction WILL/HAS kill(ed) off every indigenous barbel river south of the Trent and many more besides; that is going to be the death of our river angling.