Fly casting in a high wind

keora

Reaction score
My casting abilties are good, except when I'm fishing a reservoir in a high wind. If the wind is on my right (rod hand) side, my casting goes to pot.

One of the reasons is that I stick my arm sideways to keep the fly a safe distance away from my body. This cuts down the power and rhythmn of the cast, reduces my distance, and increases wind knots.

Has any forum member ideas for overcoming this please?

S

Shrek

A few things I would suggest to try:

1. Stand with your back to the water, false casting to the shore, then make the final cast on your backcast.

2. Try learning to cast with your left hand. Not as hard as it sounds and might even work out better.

3. Have your rod at a 45* angle on your normal casting side, rather than vertical. It shouldn't affect the timing of your cast and you "should" be able to achieve the same distance. The only thing you will notice is that on the final cast, the fly(es) will flick to the left (as though you were casting round corners), due to the angle of the rod.

Personally I use the 3rd one and have very few problems with it.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Turn around Keith and start to false cast straight into the wind. Your back cast will be easier due to it being wind assisted.

When enough line is arialised simply back cast high for your final release. The wind will carry it a much greater distance into open water.

S

Shrek

BC, that's not much good though if the water is in front of you and the wind os blowing from the right, you'd end up casting along the bank wouldn't you?

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
That's where most of the fish are mopping up the grub in the shallows.

If I wanted open water I would simply move to a swim or bank with the wind blowing into open water.

Also what's the difference between your option one and my first suggestion.

Agreed that left handed casting is the best for a right shouldered wind, I always spend at least one hour at it on a usual day trip.

Also roll cast with the right hand with the D being formed to the left of your stance. When casting aim more to the right to allow for the wind.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Learning to cast either into the wind or when the wind blows from the wrong side can be invaluable when fishing large stillwaters.

You can fish areas where there are not many anglers.

Basically I do what BC suggests. I also move my right hand across my body to the left and cast like that.

Make sure you are wearing a decent hat and specs by the way. Baseball caps will not protect the back of your neck!

keora

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I wear a baseball hat, normal glasses with extra large sunglass clip ons, I may put a hood up if it's too windy.

I've tried the routine of bending my right arm so it casts on the left hand side of the body. Not a bad method, although it doesn't give much range.

I'll have to try the turn round through 180 degrees approach.

S

Shrek

I'm thinking that the wind would then be from your left, so making casting a little safer as the line/fly wouldn't get blown across/into you.

Apart from that, nothing different at all.

Have to say that I can't cast that way, even though I've seen other people complete it very effectively.