When to use the method?

Jeff

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondered if the method is only good on highly stocked commercial waters or whether it can still be used effectively on more sparcely populated waters...???

It's only that I understand it to work best where fish regularly compete for food...?

Thanks,
Jeff

T

Terry D

It is worth using anywhere as your groundbait mix should attract fish to the immediate vicinity of where your bait is. Always worth a try. Why else do you here of anglers taking a water apart on a new 'method'. You'll never know until you try it.

Jeff

Reaction score
Cheers Terry, makes sense what you say there... I suppose regular casting will act much the same as spoding anyway, building up a nice bait patch...

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I'm currently (and have been all last year) fishing for better carp on a non-commercial club water using the method and a quivertip rod. So far (during the day at least) I'm catching more carp, and a few bigger fish, than the regulars using two or three conventional carp rods, bite alarms, etc.

Give it a go, just because it's more of a commercial fishery method doesn't mean it won't work elsewhere. It can be good for barbel, bream and tench too.

F

Frothey

the carp dont know they arent in a commercial!

put half a bucket of groundbait into a water where people use little traps.... had fish all over the spot last night, just a shame you have to pack up before dark. spooked two fish as i reeled in......

Jeff

Reaction score
Cheers Graham,
Funnily enough I have been reading Matt Haye's article in IYCF this month that covers that very subject of method feeder fishing with a quiver-tip.
I have a commercial-carp type quiver-tip rod in the garage that's desparate for a dusting down and an outing. It should do the job nicely as it has more than enough back-bone to cast a loaded method well.
Uutil now it has been kind of hard to tare myself away from the carp-rods and buzzers mentality, but needs must now I think!!! Thanks

Frothey,
That's a damn fine point you make there about the fish not knowing they are in a commercial, bit of an 'oh-yea' moment had by me there!
And the thought behind baiting heavy-ish in a water where 'trap-style' fishing is the norm' makes a load of sense...
Thanks

C

C. Roger Bradbury

"good for barbel, bream and tench too" . . . . could it (in the right circumstances) also work for Mullet, Flounder, Bass, Black Bream, Triggerfish, Wrasse ?

Jeff

Reaction score
Cheers Rik,

I can see from the photo's of the old-style method feeders that the thread is certainly from a few years back!

Of course all the info is still sound and I'm going to print it off and have a good read through...

Thanks!
Jeff

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Jeff it can work quite well for carp on canals, they seem to be used to lots of noise, walkers and boats moving about. So a loaded method feeder doesn't seem to upset them.

Reaction score
If Gary Bayes (nashbaits) uses it to fish Fen Drayton, then you can safely say it's not just for commercials!

It will work anywhere, ignore the big 'spladoosh' and you're away.

As an afterthought, why should fishing this way matter whether it's on a quivertip or a 'normal' carp rod on a buzzer? Takes are vicious things on the method. You do not need a superfine quiver to see them. In fact, I would suggest that this might work against you, as the quivertip will be bouncing all over the place as fish hit the feeder to dislodge food items.If you end up striking at every movement, you will end up going through lots of bait!

Jeff

Reaction score
Good point Paraman,

I too reckon it will take some getting used to, although Matt Hayes does cover this point in his article, saying that you must wait for the 'proper' bite...

I guess fishing in this manner makes you a bit more 'in-touch' with the fish, which you don't really get when sitting behind a set of buzzers on a bedchair...

T

trev matthews

C Roger Bradbury

In order to answer your question yes method feeders work really well in esturies and marinas, pack the feeder with stinky fish based groundbaits and bits of cockle and squid etc and the bits will brake up and drift with the tide you will get cracking bites but you need to ensure it is locked down in the tide. I used to fish mine in conjunction with a small grip lead. The inline method feeder being immediately above the grip lead and fished with a 18 inch or so hooklength in order to catch the tide. Try it and see for yourself.