A55holes

BarryC

Reaction score
Typical 'kill everything that lives' American a55holes.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9y053300OA&feature=g-vrec&context=G2c82122RVAAAAAAAAAQ]Spear Fishing HUGE Carp Part 2 of 3! - YouTube[/ame]
I have no concerne about removing carp from their waterways but at least be humane about it.

cg74

Reaction score
Barry, while I can see where you're coming from, perhaps you should've read and heeded the warning 8 secs into the footage.

Cruelty is a very subjective thing and really can only (if what you are doing is legal) be decided by yourself:

Is it humane to catch, play and bank a fish, only to return it, just for your pleasure?

Is shooting a humane way to deal with vermin with a gun and/or is it fair/humane to rear pheasants only to shoot them, and not be able to ensure a quick kill?

Is it humane to eat meat, as some animals DO get very distressed prior to slaughter, no matter how efficient the process is?

Only you can answer these questions and I shouldn't think you're going to change the mind-set of a US citizen on this forum.

cg74

Reaction score
I'm not defending them, but they are also a nation with an Asian carp problem too: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfG4vsJ5_xI]Asian Carp - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

BarryC

Reaction score
I know that some of their waterways are over run with Asian carp. And I believe that our European ones are also giving cause for concerne. But that is no reason why when exercizing their chosen sport with them they should act like complete cretins.

paul80

Reaction score
Only in America !!

Carp are treated with total and utter disdain over there!

Not just Carp but everything that lives is treated with Utter disdain.

But ask yourself would we be any different if we where allowed Guns and there was ample wildlife and an open hunting season

Seeing how some of our countries Better know TV anglers treat their fish on TV I somehow doubt it.

Paul

beerweasel

Reaction score
I don't see what is wrong with what they did (no worse than livebaiting).
Spear fishing is an acceptable form of hunting in saltwater, even around the British coast.
Over there Carp are vermin and have to be controlled.
Just because some of you have decided to worship the "Sacred Carp" doesn't mean you should tell other
countries how to behave.
I would no more tell the Spaniards to stop Bullfighting as I would the Inuit to stop harpooning Walruses.
If you cared that much about Carp welfare you wouldn't fish for them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's pointless to try and ascribe our cultural ideals and values onto a foreign culture. It doesn't matter whether that culture is quite different (Asia) or superficially similar (North America). We may also lack a good understanding of the situation that drives prevalent attitudes. There are plenty of things that are acceptable or even encouraged in the UK that would be totally unacceptable elsewhere. It's more than a little arrogant to presume that we've got everything right and every culture that's different has it wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, the fervent and over the top fish welfare evangelists are going too far these days. Some of the vitriol dished out to non-believers is ridiculous considering that we all stick hooks into fish in the first place. I'm increasingly suspicious that the whole fish welfare scene is actually driven by an industry that offers increasingly large, increasingly well padded, and therefore, increasingly expensive fish care products.

I'll be more concerned with the ills of this country before I get round to worrying about carp in the USA (or Australia). For those with too much time on their hands, have a look at this and have a little cry.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the fervent and over the top fish welfare evangelists are going too far these days. Some of the vitriol dished out to non-believers is ridiculous considering that we all stick hooks into fish in the first place. I'm increasingly suspicious that the whole fish welfare scene is actually driven by an industry that offers increasingly large, increasingly well padded, and therefore, increasingly expensive fish care products.
I couldn't agree more, Sam.

But -
It's pointless to try and ascribe our cultural ideals and values onto a foreign culture.
It's strange how the Americans do exactly that! :wh

I used to deal with a company in Virginia and got the idea that this is their belief - 'If you can't kill it, can't eat it, can't screw it, then sell it something.'

sam vimes

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, Sam.

But -
It's strange how the Americans do exactly that! :wh

I used to deal with a company in Virginia and got the idea that this is their belief - 'If you can't kill it, can't eat it, can't screw it, then sell it something.'

I quite agree that the American culture seems overly keen to swamp as many other cultures as possible with its own. That doesn't make it right that we should try to do the same back at them. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Why should carp be regarded as special?

Is it any more cruel than to trawl fish in nets and then let them gasp their last while being crushed to death by their brethren. I personally don't think that it is.

Carp are not indigenous to many ecosystems and cause a great deal of harm when they are introduced to them. In such circumstances they are indeed vermin.

BarryC

Reaction score
I do'nt beleive that carp should be regarded as special but that any living creature that has given you your sport should be.
I hav'nt aqproblem with spearfishing for them wether for food or as a means of eradicating them. It just got up my nose when our hero at around the 2 minute point, having speared his prey decides to pretend he is Mike Tyson and aim punches at it.
As I initially said, what an a55hole.

paul80

Reaction score
Other than the cost to replace, what’s the difference between Catching and killing a large Carp and a Large Cod?

The view from the Moral High Ground is nothing as long as both are eaten.

Remember in our own waters there are far more large cod killed and not eaten than Carp. (Due to EU Size restrictions) that insists that undersize fish brought up from the deep with blown swim bladders are returned to the sea even though they will quickly die. But somehow that’s ok.

Remember in America and Australia Carp are a wild nuisance fish at almost vermin levels so locally they are encouraged to control them. Just like we do to Rats and Pigeons.

And don't forget why the King Carp where brought into this country in the first place. To be eaten.

Paul

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Remember in our own waters there are far more large cod killed and not eaten than Carp. (Due to EU Size restrictions) that insists that undersize fish brought up from the deep with blown swim bladders are returned to the sea even though they will quickly die. But somehow that’s ok.

Hasn't the Eu size/quota system been reversed, or is in the process of being reversed?

soffit

Reaction score

Hasn't the Eu size/quota system been reversed, or is in the process of being reversed?

I quite enjoyed a story about east europeans who innocently thought carp was just for the table rather than nabbing and putting back. A nice forty pounder goes a long way:D:D

uscarper

Reaction score
it's been awhile since i've been on here. i spent the winter trying to arrow a whitetail deer. but anyway ,most americans hate carp and feel that they should be eradicated. not just carp, gar, suckers,in some locations catfish to.its true that alot of people here go by the rule if you cant eat it then you dont need them around. i was lucky in that my grandfather raised me to respect all wildlife. he hated catching a carp, but he would gently unhook and release them. he said that if you arent going to eat a fish, then release it. dont kill it just because you dont like them. same with hunting. now the asian carp problem is different these need to be dramatically culled, trapped , or done away with in a way that doesnt harm other species. european carp in my opinion are not a big problem. although very few americans like them. in my state you can spear, gig, snag with treble hooks, shoot with bow or crossbow. you cant use traps, firearms:confused:explosives:eek:or electricity. i my self love carp because they are great sport, and few people fish them here. but i must admit, alot of americans are a55holes.:)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
but one thing we do have is respect and compassion

As in trout fisheries and pike, even now some fisheries insist Jacks are killed

feel that they should be eradicated. not just carp, gar, suckers,in some locations catfish

Curious, there are anglers in this country who would go around trying to eradicate different species of wildlife.