fishing websites!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone ever trawled the web for offbeat or unusual websites?
Over the last couple of nights (I been a little fed up with the other halves choice of telly!) I have been browsing the web and I have found that the WWW is full of pointless and useless info (not just fishing!) Some of the stuff I have looked at beggars belief! There is even a guy that posts on here who's site is just pointless! Why bother spending all that money setting up a web Address/site just for self gratification?
As anyone else found websites that are, lets just say, a little strange?

Mark

terry m

Reaction score
Huge swathes of the Internet need top be taken with a large pinch of salt.

At times it is so very useful, but you have to generally wade through a lot of dross to get what you are looking for.

As for unusual sites, I would guess that we have all happened upon them from time to time, sometimes by accident, sometimes by design......:eek:

cg74

Reaction score
Its blogs that really get me, moreover blogs that involve barbel angling, it seems most are just a tool where-by the blogger can spout any old carp completely unopposed.... truly sad and pathetic!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Small Websites cost next to nothing to set up. A few months ago I set up a website for my local RAF club. It is free for 2 years and then will cost about £10 a year. They get more expensive for more complicated packages but, for the average small one; very cheap. So anyone with the inclination can do it without worrying about the cost. It could be an idea to remove all websites that get less than say 50 hits a month after two years. But, the companies that make money from these small websites would never allow it and then what about all the people that put their small family websites on-line. I also have a fishing website that doesn't cost much a year. I always see the web as a very excellent way of providing information and I have information that might interest other anglers but, if they do not like that information they don't have to visit again. However, I understand your point but, it is sort of the mar-mite thing or one mans dross might be another mans gold.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its blogs that really get me, moreover blogs that involve barbel angling, it seems most are just a tool where-by the blogger can spout any old carp completely unopposed.... truly sad and pathetic!

I know what you mean about bloggers, most are ok, and are full of usefull info, but a lot are just full of self important, pretentious drivel, that, even on a good day is only of any use to themselves! Take a look at some of the customer reviews on Amazon about fishing books (and DVDs, music, etc.) and you will see what sort of folk I am talking about!

Mark

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I know what you mean about bloggers, most are ok, and are full of usefull info, but a lot are just full of self important, pretentious drivel, that, even on a good day is only of any use to themselves! Take a look at some of the customer reviews on Amazon about fishing books (and DVDs, music, etc.) and you will see what sort of folk I am talking about!

I can emphasize with that. I wish sometimes people would really think if it is absolutely necessary to rubbish a book or something before they do. I had one bad review for a book on horse racing statistics. The person wasn't rubbishing the statistics because he had information otherwise or rubbishing the way the book was laid out or written. That would have been fair enough. He just rubbish the fact that it contained horse racing statistics. I thought why buy the bloody book then. It was quite clear what the book was about. But, they do their harm and it is a shame especially when its not necessary.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I can emphasize with that. I wish sometimes people would really think if it is absolutely necessary to rubbish a book or something before they do. I had one bad review for a book on horse racing statistics. The person wasn't rubbishing the statistics because he had information otherwise or rubbishing the way the book was laid out or written. That would have been fair enough. He just rubbish the fact that it contained horse racing statistics. I thought why buy the bloody book then. It was quite clear what the book was about. But, they do their harm and it is a shame especially when its not necessary.

I have always made my own mind up about fishing books (and everything else) I buy, and I will never understand why some folk take pleasure in sitting down and rubbishing a book just because a few words in it are not to their liking, yes, there are a lot of sad, pathetic people about!

Mark

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have always made my own mind up about fishing books (and everything else) I buy, and I will never understand why some folk take pleasure in sitting down and rubbishing a book just because a few words in it are not to their liking, yes, there are a lot of sad, pathetic people about!

Mark
Exactly; Just have a bit of human empathy. Someones may have taken a lot of time and trouble to produce a book. And if you consider it is really a bad book' fair enough but, just because it is not perfect why put off others who may not find it so. Have a bit of sympathy for the author who is probably just trying to make a few quid. The actual royalties from books are very small. If they are best sellers then that can create a fair revenue but, 99% of books only earn the author pocket money. Give them a fair chance I say. Anyway, that's life but I think sites like Amazon which has a lot of budding authors who are just having a go could ban bad reviews because they can do a lot of damage and from people who do not know what they are talking about.. there are professional critics but, this allows anyone to do damage. I wont postulate anymore but, anyone reading this just have a good think before you dive in with criticism..Be fair! you may just be giving someone a kick in the head .Personally, I wouldn't want to harm anyone's income unless I felt it was absolutely necessary and I don't recall that I have ever done so.. cheers...
PS while I am on the subject just read a Christmas present..THE ACCIDENTAL ANGLER by CHARLES RANGELEY WILSON...A very good read# couldnt put it down. recommended.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Have a look at the idlers quest blog, it doesnt set out to be about anything in particular, its well written and always an enjoyable read. The chap whos blog it is used to post on here but hasnt for some time.