Motp....

soffit

Reaction score
Members of the public are, in the main, not fisherpersons. Apart from canal paths and Chesil beach they probably never come across each other that much. I occasionally have a moan when the local seafishermen leave their rubbish behind; their discarded line and mackerel carcasses especially. But its out of sight/out of mind in the main.

Where I started fishing a month ago is a tiny river hardly fished but it is close to easy/free parking so the dog walkers are legion. I was uncomfortable about this at first what with the banning of fox-hunting and the rumbles about fishing being the next target; only going early morning at first.

Apart from one bloke that obviously ignored my "Good Morning" and fed the fish with bread one side of the bridge whilst I caught them with bread on the other I have met no hostility. In fact today it was like a muddy motorway. Had lots of people curious about what the fish were; a lot of banter about the size of my trophies/fish/photos in Angling Mail/etc. Some just stopped to watch the float trundle down and a fish hooked had the parents and kids in some excitement. I was dreading a deep hooking but it was all lip-hooked, an effortless removal of the barbless hook, show the nippers a perfect roach and quick return to the water. In a perfect bit of PR I lent my landing net to a kid because his dog had dropped its ball in the river:)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Morning,
Don't worry to much about the anti mob mate they are a scarce breed around most places we fish, and believe it or not, most members of the public show no interest in the ''to hunt or not to hunt'' war that as raged so long in parliament. Most of the general public find fishing quite inoffensive and some I have met would really like to ''take it up'' as a hobby if they had the time.
I have only been ''attacked'' once, and that was on a busy Manchester railway station. I collect enamel sporting badges and I had a few hunt and fishing badges on my cap, I was spotted by this hippy type guy who just gave me a bit of abusive ''lip'' but being the pacifist that I am, I just walked away!
One thing you must be carefull of is choosing a safe place to fish, ie not on city centre canal banks on your own! As I said its not the anti lot you have to worry about its the scum that would like to try and part you with your nice shiny tackle, or worse!

take care and just enjoy this great hobby,

Mark

Last edited:

johnbaz

Reaction score
My lad tried rescuing a sheep that had fallen in to the river Idle using his landing net..

Of course, he broke the handle and when it snapped, he fell in!!

Whilst he was already in, he grabbed the sheep and dragged it to the bankside, the bank was high-ish and the sheep weighed a ton wet through so it nearly finished my son off scrambling it out of the water but luckily a chap passing by gave him a hand..

That was my lads bit of 'good publicity' for the sport, trouble was by the sound of it, only the solitary chap knew of it :D

John :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My lad tried rescuing a sheep that had fallen in to the river Idle using his landing net..

Whilst he was already in, he grabbed the sheep and dragged it to the bankside, the bank was high-ish and the sheep weighed a ton wet through so it nearly finished my son off scrambling it out of the water but luckily a chap passing by gave him a hand..

That was my lads bit of 'good publicity' for the sport, trouble was by the sound of it, only the solitary chap knew of it :D

Well, give your lad a pat on the back from me!!!

Mark

soffit

Reaction score

That's the most unlikely story so bound to be true. Incidents like that never leave yer memory banks. Its like PTSD but with a happy ending.