Vintage rod

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I've been given an rod today. It's cane, MK4 Carp and carries the signature of Richard Walker. It also carries the maker's name on the butt; B. James & Son of London. I'd say the rod is in excellent condition, it has the original rod bag bearing the maker's name which is a bit grubby, and a previous owner has written his name and address on the inside of the top flap.

I want to keep the rod and maybe use it but out of interest, does anyone know what it's worth?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Worth a few hundred £s, with a fair wind. I had a Carp and an Avon (still have the latter), bought for me when I was aged 10 in the case of the Avon and 12 in the case of the Carp, only selling the latter in order to help fund a trip abroad years and years ago. The Avon has caught everything for me - in addition to barbel, chub, carp and ALL coarse fish, salmon, sea-trout, bass, mullet...

Bluenose

Reaction score
Ric I did a quick google, there are a few numbers here!

Not sure how recent it is, but phone a few up and you'll get a feel for what it's worth!

I googled 'Chris Sandford angling antiques'!

barbelboi

Reaction score
In good condition in excess of £250 and upwards depending what model/year - i.e onion doughnut or trumpet handle. Also the early ones were signed by DW in Indian Ink personally (rare) after the first forty or fifty a transfer of his signature was used. Better still, if you have one of the few (14 I believe) that he made personally, usually with green rather than maroon whippings it would be worth considerably more depending also as to who he gifted it to. I believe all of these though are accounted for.
Jerry
PS I still have a '57 Avon.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Don't listen to them Ric. The rod's worthless and only fit for holding up sweet peas. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it in an ecologically sound manner. I won't charge you for it.

caferacer

Reaction score
Unfortunately the market for classic/vintage tackle has plummeted,that cane Walker would`ve been worth a tidy few bob in that condition 10-15 years ago,I have one and a later glass Hardy Walker carp and they are lovely margin tench rods.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Unfortunately the market for classic/vintage tackle has plummeted.

Whilst it's true to say you can no longer flog any old cane rod for a tidy sum these days, as in the heady days of the early '90s, B James MK IV carp or avon rods in good condition rarely fetch less than £200 on eBay (and often a lot more).

Other sought-after rods and reels from good makers continue to attract high prices.

What makes you say the market has "plummeted", out of interest?

caferacer

Reaction score
The market was nuts 10 years ago when on line auction sites suddenly brought all these before unseen and hard to find items,within a mouse click to people in an economy that was stable,I remember Hardy Cascapaedias with reserves 0f £10k now they are around half that,its not that prices have plummeted,more like stabilised.
Whilst it's true to say you can no longer flog any old cane rod for a tidy sum these days, as in the heady days of the early '90s, B James MK IV carp or avon rods in good condition rarely fetch less than £200 on eBay (and often a lot more).

Other sought-after rods and reels from good makers continue to attract high prices.

What makes you say the market has "plummeted", out of interest?

john woody

Reaction score
nice Ric keep hold of it m8. i would love to have something like that. good on you m8 :w

dezza

Reaction score
As to what these old rods are worth, it seems to have been covered. Generally not as much as one thinks.

I would of course like to see the rod to get an idea how old it is. If it's a genuine RW signature Mk IV in good condition then it could be worth over £1k.

But from what you tell me, I'll offer you £150.00 - seriously!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is in truly excelleent condition, then think around £300

If it has been totally refurbished, by an expert then think along the lines of £250 upwards.

The prices can vary a lot for a straight rod in good condition depending on how many people are interested in it.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I've noticed that the whipping immediately below the tip ring is beige colour rather than the burgundy throughout the rest of the rod. Also the tip section is a little shorter than the butt. I'm wondering if the tip was maybe snapped at some stage? Or is that different colour whipping a standard thing?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I've noticed that the whipping immediately below the tip ring is beige colour rather than the burgundy throughout the rest of the rod. Also the tip section is a little shorter than the butt. I'm wondering if the tip was maybe snapped at some stage? Or is that different colour whipping a standard thing?

Hi Ric, My MKV goes - First piece measures 1580mm and the second 1545mm when seperated. All the whippings should be the same colour, however that does not necessarily mean the rod has been broken (check the measurements) it may mean that the ring has just been re-whipped. Hope this helps.
Jerry