best places to buy lures!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been looking around on the web for new places to buy lures from.
I do use several British companies but most of them only carry a small selection of brands/models, even harris sportsmail do not carry the vast range that the old harris angling company used to have.
The companies that I have tried include sovereign super baits, and the friendly fisherman but the former seem only to stock one brand (salmo) and the latter are very expensive! One place I do like (because its free postage!) is monster tackle but the range is based around bass fishing as they are based on Jersey. I have also browsed a few other sites but when you look through them they turn out to be rather lacking in stock/variety!!
I have considered many times ordering from the states as I like the way they handle the customer but I have not a clue where/which company to start!
oh, one more thing please do not suggest EBAY...I would have to hunt down and shoot anyone who mentions that dreadful company, sorry I know a lot of you out there use that site but I have my reasons to hate the very mention of that site!

anyway, hope you can help,
thanks
Mark

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
one more thing please do not suggest EBAY...I would have to hunt down and shoot anyone who mentions that dreadful company
Oh! Well, I can't help you then. :wh :wh :wh :wh

Try doing Google for Savage Gear lures, I think they're OK and you may find somone selling off old colours cheap. The old ones are the best ones, so I'm told. I just wished women would appreciate that. :cool:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Try doing Google for Savage Gear lures, I think they're OK and you may find somone selling off old colours cheap. The old ones are the best ones, so I'm told. I just wished women would appreciate that. :cool:

Thanks jeff, I buy prologic lures anyway, and they are good, very good, I get most of mine from HSM and billy clarkes! I was just looking for someone in this country that sold american lures like what Mrs Harris used to sell...god I miss that couple!

Mark

soffit

Reaction score
Try yer local cheapo 'sell everything' shops. For example;Trago in Cornwall has only three stores but has a fine range of Rapala lures that are cheaper for me than the internet. I have also bought three rods from a scruffy place called Jim's that has only two small outlets. Decent kit at equal-the-net prices. Nice to look at it first and buy in the same place.

My local fishing shops are looking a bit sad TBH. if you are going to sell stuff at full retail you need to offer something other than maggots/lobworms because everything else is avaliable from everywhere. One place the owner rarely gets up from watching a computer screen. You have to ask the price of stuff because the ink on the labels has faded. Another one said he only bought one massive order once a year so couldn't help me until then. The final one ignores you the whole time you are in the shop and closes for the winter anyway.

Its like that Hovis advert without the upside:)

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Thanks jeff, I buy prologic lures anyway, and they are good, very good, I get most of mine from HSM and billy clarkes! I was just looking for someone in this country that sold american lures like what Mrs Harris used to sell...god I miss that couple!

Mark

Been handy if you had been this specific in the first place then. I wasted some internet ink on this...:rolleyes:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try yer local cheapo 'sell everything' shops. For example;Trago in Cornwall has only three stores but has a fine range of Rapala lures that are cheaper for me than the internet. I have also bought three rods from a scruffy place called Jim's that has only two small outlets. Decent kit at equal-the-net prices. Nice to look at it first and buy in the same place.

My local fishing shops are looking a bit sad TBH. if you are going to sell stuff at full retail you need to offer something other than maggots/lobworms because everything else is avaliable from everywhere. One place the owner rarely gets up from watching a computer screen. You have to ask the price of stuff because the ink on the labels has faded. Another one said he only bought one massive order once a year so couldn't help me until then. The final one ignores you the whole time you are in the shop and closes for the winter anyway.

Its like that Hovis advert without the upside:)

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Been handy if you had been this specific in the first place then. I wasted some internet ink on this...:rolleyes:

I am lucky as I have billy clarkes on my doorstep and he must have the best laid out tackle shop in the country, all good gear with not a speck of dust anywhere! Its probably why he is the only tackle shop left in Sheffield, great bloke, superb shop, trouble is he doesn't stock many lures!!

Mark

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It might be worth checking out Chico Winterton's site Mark, if it's specific lures you're looking for. Chico's a member of FM and posts on here sometimes, and knows his stuff when it comes to lures.

By the way, it's good to hear that someone else values the ''Creek Chub Pikies''. Still a cracking lure after all these years. They're still putting me good fish on the bank. :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It might be worth checking out Chico Winterton's site Mark, if it's specific lures you're looking for. Chico's a member of FM and posts on here sometimes, and knows his stuff when it comes to lures.

By the way, it's good to hear that someone else values the ''Creek Chub Pikies''. Still a cracking lure after all these years. They're still putting me good fish on the bank. :)

thank's for that derek,
I had a huge collection of lures, most being bought from sue harris, but I let the lot go when I spit from my ex as I needed the money! I had some really good ones like creek chubs in all sizes, bucher, and bagley and I would really like to replace those if I could find them.

Mark

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
american lures like what Mrs Harris used to sell...god I miss that couple!
Yes, Harris have gone downhill on the lures front since they were taken over and merged with Sportsmail. Sue Harris came on FM once, I think around 2005/6, because everyone then was lamenting the poorer service they got from the new company. I'm waiting now for some goods ordered on the Tuesday before Christmas.

I am lucky in that my daughter lives in California and get lures from Bass Pro, but she never can get the ones that I would really like. They're always bass catchers, not quite as good for pike all the time. However, I now have quite a collection from over 45 years of lure fishing (I bet Derek has more than me :)) and I just now pick up on the odd bargains I see on Ebay so long as the seller has good star points.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I'll tell you what I do know Jeff, and that is, that I have ''far too many'' lures. I've been down sizing for the last three years. I've gifted out a load to some guys on here, but I'm hanging on to my ''wooden pikies''.

Despite what some may say, ''you can have too many lures''. Even Gordy told me over Christmas that he too is letting some go. :wh

Morespiders

Reaction score
I'll tell you what I do know Jeff, and that is, that I have ''far too many'' lures. I've been down sizing for the last three years. I've gifted out a load to some guys on here, but I'm hanging on to my ''wooden pikies''.

Despite what some may say, ''you can have too many lures''. Even Gordy told me over Christmas that he too is letting some go. :wh

Bit like floats ehh Derek:D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Harris have gone downhill on the lures front since they were taken over and merged with Sportsmail. Sue Harris came on FM once, I think around 2005/6, because everyone then was lamenting the poorer service they got from the new company. I'm waiting now for some goods ordered on the Tuesday before Christmas.

I am lucky in that my daughter lives in California and get lures from Bass Pro, but she never can get the ones that I would really like. They're always bass catchers, not quite as good for pike all the time. However, I now have quite a collection from over 45 years of lure fishing (I bet Derek has more than me :)) and I just now pick up on the odd bargains I see on Ebay so long as the seller has good star points.

To be honest jeff the service I had from sportsmail has been very good, I have been told that a few years ago they were having ''teething'' problems when they took on the harris angling company. I still don't know why they streamlined the stock on the lure side of things though, surly if a small firm like sue's could source a vast range of products then sportsmail could if they tried?

Mark

madmatz

Reaction score
Mark you wont go wrong in giving derek a pm regards to lures. Im sure he could set you up with more lures than you would ever need. I got a load off him some were the mass produced ones and alot were his own lures and i have to say they are works of art... give him a pm mate

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks lads,
I have decided to give the musky shop in Wisconsin a go. sent them an email and got a reply a few mins later (why can't the brits give you service like this?) I know it might cost a little more when customs/ post office have taken their cut but if I order enough from them I could save a bit.
I have found the bucher and burmek lures that I thought I would never get hold of again from these folk so on that alone they are worth the effort, so come on sportsmail, you are loosing custom by not stocking the gear that Harris angling used too, why? And on that point, why do sportsmail say in their advert that they ''stock more lures than you will ever need'', RUBBISH!!

Mark

dezza

Reaction score
Best place to buy lures?

If you mean the world I would suggest a trip to the States, Australia or even South Africa. I walked into a shop in Australia and was staggered at the huge selection of American made lures from plastic worms to Castaic style fish imitating lures, and from plugs and crankbaits of all shapes and sizes, to spinnerbaits and salt water stuff.

South African tackle shops carry large selections of bass lures, mainly because large and small mouth bass are popular species in that country. Prices are much lower than the equivalents in the UK.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best place to buy lures?

If you mean the world I would suggest a trip to the States, Australia or even South Africa. I walked into a shop in Australia and was staggered at the huge selection of American made lures from plastic worms to Castaic style fish imitating lures, and from plugs and crankbaits of all shapes and sizes, to spinnerbaits and salt water stuff.

South African tackle shops carry large selections of bass lures, mainly because large and small mouth bass are popular species in that country. Prices are much lower than the equivalents in the UK.

found some good sites in Australia, as anyone ever ordered fro so faraway and if so what's the postage like?

Mark

rains

Reaction score

To the op ebay is good along as you look into the sellers feedback had some nice lures of there