surface fishing

Reaction score
i had the chance today to nip down to my local club waters and spend a few hours fishing not wonting to take all my stuff i thourt with it being quite warm and not very windy i would just take my stuff for fishing the surface as you will probly guess i blanked it was abit overcast where i was ? is there some other factor to fish this way thet i am not looking at ?

Carpless

Reaction score
what do you mean? Like what factors like weather etc. that meant you couldn't catch or other methods to fish on the surface?

Reaction score
sorry like weather etc i thourt as it was warm and calm it would of been perfact but i didnt evan see a fish at the top does it have to be really sunny etc

Carpless

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be sunny although it helps. It really depends on alot of things. I haven't been fishing a long time but from the waters i've fished i've seen carp come to the surface and feed on one pond while the pond next to it would have you believe that there aren't any fish in it. Just yesterday i was fishing a little commercial fishery and while the guys down on pond 2 were bringing them in off the surface we were stuck on the top pond taking everything from well under the surface and having little success off the top. This makes me think that weather isn't always the key factor. I don't know whether the style of fishing of the anglers around the pond affects anything because almost everyone was fishing below surface and using sinking baits which could mean the carp are happy to cruise round picking up the free offerings. Only when everyone was packing up and leaving did they start to come up just to annoy us as we walked towards the car park. It was getting on to about 9 then though and dawn and dusk are times when they tend to come to the surface. I think angling pressure is also a factor because when we got there there was 1 person on the pond and you could see the carp bathing in the sun everywhere. I took 3 off the surface at about 11-12am. As soon as other anglers started to show and pegs got taken up the only sign of carp was the mud clouds on the bottom. I'd like to know what more experienced anglers think about these theories and what their experiences have taught them.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Brendan, i was fishing floating bread at a venue at weekend and i caught 35 carp!! All on floating bread, it is a gtreat way to catch carp. The only reason i opted to fish like this was because all the other anglers around me where doing the floating bread method, i was ledgering at first on the bottom and didn't get a touch. Probably because everyone else were feeding on the surface.

I have put a picture in the Gallery today of a carp coming up for floating bread, it is an amazing sight to watch.

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
I don't think there are rules - though if you see fish taking off the top it might be worth having a go!
However, I took my 6 year old yesterday and set up the rods with pva bags, skinz hook baits and waited. A guy on the opposite bank took 3 off the surface while we had nothing. I was sorely tempted to switch approaches but in the next half an hour we had 4 fish to 9.5lbs.
That's fishing.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Brendan it dosen't have to be sunny for fish to feed on the surface but warm and humid conditions will often be the best time ,you can catch carp on floating baits at night in these conditions also so it's not just the sun involved.Also look for trees and lillies and that sort of thing as this is were carpe likes to hide out in hot weather and try and control the urge to chuck a baited hook at them straight away as they might just slide away so try and get them feeding and competing for the food first.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The carp are getting ready to spawn on there mate. I was on Friday night and they just were not coming up. The guy in the corner where they normally spawn had nine out on the bottom. Surface fishing is there is a case of turn up see if they are on the top if not fish diffrently or come back another time.

Reaction score
i think i get it now its a case of if you see them fish 4 them or like you say if you dont try something else i was thinking i might be overlooking something

T

The Monk

as a tip mate, I would only fish for them when they are taking confidently, fire out some freebies and watch these first before casting a baited hook

B

Bully

Brendan - I love surface fising, and probably do (or did when I was fishing lots) more than any other form.

I would say over 80% of my fish have been caught by simply regularly feeding in freebies and watching for something to start happening. On really calm days I'll go round and trickle some freebies in a few margin areas etc and sit back and watch, or just feed from one area, especially when there is a regular breeze taking it out in one direction. I would not even cast a bait until I have seen them start feeding confidently, as Monk says.

Rarely have I caught fish by whacking out baits onto sighted fish (i.e. cruising high).

W

Wolfman Woody

It's the most frustrating method of fishing, seeing a mouth come up and then turn away.

Why? I don't know because I was out last Sunday and there must have thirty or more fish to over 20lb in my area. Put in soem loose pellets and they scoffed them. Put in one with a hook in it and every time they nudged it and ignored it. In all this happend 9 times with some absolute monsters threatening to take it, but shying away when they must have seen the line or hook.

I tried different sizes, hair rigged bait, banded bait, buried bait and I was fishing fluorocarbon! Not a hope in hell!

Garry Procter

Reaction score
Woody,

I had the same problem (though the carp were not 20?s!) when floater fishing. After much thought (yes, it hurt) eventually I tried a ?combi-link? ? using the softest material I could think of for the last foot or so ? Kryston multistrand (15 lb untwisted). It?s a pain to tie up but if you do it carefully at home it?s not too bad. The join between the multistrand and the main line was always a bit of a problem, and needed testing carefully every time I tied on a new link. All the effort was worth it as I certainly got many, many more confident takes using this approach. I then bought Jim Gibbinson?s book ?Gravel Pit Carp? (his most recent carp book) and found he had come up with the same method, and got similar much improved results! Except of course Jim had fixed the ?joining? problem that I was experiencing, by using a simple loop-to-loop connection (never thought of that?). Hope all that made sense ? it might be interesting to give Jim?s method a go.

Garry

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
The ones i caught on Sat i caught all on floating bread. Never used pellet at all.

Carpless

Reaction score
I don't like using bread as much as a chum mixer or trout pellet on a bait band.

Reaction score
woody
i know you are alot more expirenced then me but i find it exiting will it/ wont it more wont it in my case
but if you think about it how many times does this happen when you are fishing off the bottom and you dont know about it ?

T

The Monk

yes mixers for me on bait bands these days, in the old day we used crust cut neatly with a pair of sissors, at the start of the season the carp wouild be having it, but as they got warey they wouild come upto the bait and give it a slap with their tail often knocking the bait from the hook then they would take it, so we devised a method using a second hook just below the first one and smaller in size, we would put stale crust on the main hook and a bit of fresh paste on the second, the carp would come up slap the stale crust with their tail and then take all the bits as they sank, often taking the second baited hook on the way down.

Surface fishing is really all about stalking and watching the water, move around the lake firing out freebies and just watching the water, you could be there hours before casting the rod, wait until the carp are really taking the freebie confidently, then when they put the`re guard down, cast a hooked bait amoungst them, you will probably take a few carp off guard, once you have, follow the proceedure again until they are back feeding confidently and only cast out again when they are doing this, net out any freebies which have drifted across the lake if you tire of this method, then set up a helicopter and sit it out, not as successful but gives you time to chill and study the water a bit more.