Multipliers for carp

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Given that multipliers
a) have freespool facility with adjustable resistance(intended for casting!)
b) can be used to cast a very long way
c) often have excellent drag mechanisms
d) are excellent fun when playing fish
Has anybody tried using them for carp fishing and, if so, how did you get on?
Steve

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Many many many times Steve.

A decent multiplier will outcast a fixed spool reel by 30%. As regards playing fish, they are far better.

The problem is with your average Pom angler. As soon as they see a multiplier, they go all funny and all they see are: "Overruns and birds nests".

Which if you are prepared to learn how to use one properly, doesn't happen.

F

Frothey

absolutely nothing to do with retrieve ratio or the fact everyone would have to re-ring their rods then.....

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys
I suspect you (Ron) are right inasmuch as most freshwater anglers only use multipliers for spinning so they have never caught on elsewhere, hence the reason why no carp rods have appropriate rings. Bit chicken and egg that one! I was thinking of using my spinning rod anyway, so the rings are not a problem. What did you(Frothey)mean about the retrieve ratio?
Cheers
Steve

T

The Monk

Old Long Cast Harry at the Roman Lakes in the 70s swore by multi`s for his carp fishing, mind you that was in the days before baitrunners and big pit reels, I use to use Michell 386s in those day for long range work. If modern multiplyers were any good for modern carp fishing the so called experts would be using and selling them

F

Frothey

you cant reel in as quickly with most "carp sized" multipliers - same reason quite a few "rough ground" sea anglers use fixed spools, it'll reel in quicker.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Agreed mate, but hook a 30lb yellowtail in a heavy surf and you'll soon know which type of reel you will prefer.

These bloody fish will take 200 yards of 40 lbs test line in one screaming run!

I'd like to see any carp do that!

And I'd like to see any carp plonker trying the backwind a fish that moves at 40 mph!!!!

F

Frothey

but we arent talking about yellowtails in heavy surf, are we? and if we were, dont get too many of those around the uk coast (unfortunately)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ja mate but what makes me laugh are those self styled carp fishing experts who lay down the law about what tackle is right for the job.

You know, you see them in some of the fancy carp mags, posing with previously caught bags of shite. How they can claim to be real anglers beats my bloody logic.

I'd like to put them in contact with a fish that can really fight, a reef queenfish would be a start.

I have seen "anglers" try to tackle such species and they have had their "coffee grinders" stripped of their gears in 5 seconds flat.