Canal trip

Lord Paul

Reaction score
What ho chaps

Got back from my canal cruise on Saturday - had a weeks on the Llangollen Canal
Great time - the boat was a bit small so had to have a raft built for the servants to tow behind the narrow boat, and then could only get a basic crew of 10 on board to I travelled light.

The fishing was harder than I expected - started on the waggler but due to the flow of the canal this became impossible to present bait well.
Then tried a stick float with caster as bait but never got a bite , I tried sweet corn but still no results , finally bread got a few bites but I couldn't hit them.

Even in the rain fish were topping , and with the water being fairly clear I came up with the idea to undershot the float and use it for casting proposes only and fished with small pieces of bread either on the surface or just sinking below and watch the bread. At last success I caught a few roach and dace - nothing very big but at least I was catching.

I did try spinning for pike several times - but none showed.

Tally Ho

GT56

Reaction score
M?laud

I too had a holiday afloat a few years back, unfortunately the crew came close to mutiny and won?t hear of it again, pity I fancied my self as a fishing water gipsy.

Caught my best ever Roach during the cruise on the canal at the back of the late Lord Lichfield?s place, probably some relative of yours.

Happy days!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I hope you had a good un Lord as I also had a holiday afloat as a young un bloody good fun as well ,shame about the prices even for plywood vessels which is what we hired from Uncle Alberts Trotters ships and co only a few small groundings luckily and only the odd leak.all good fun though.