River Guiding?

• Thread starter Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)
  • Start date
P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

I read on a website the other day a guy asking about guiding on a particular river.

Now I just don?t get this at all?

Are people such poor anglers these days that they need somebody to hold their hands and take them to a river and instruct them on fishing it?

Is it that they want instant gratification of trophy shots to put in the weekly comics to say how good an angler they are?

Have modern day anglers lost the sprite of self-learning and adventure that angling is about.

Is it they have far more money than sense?

Come on guys tell me why it is that people would pay someone to guide them on an English river, because I just don?t get it?

E

EC

Some guides are very good on their own patch I suspect Phil, and there will always be those who want to pick their brains as much as possible, even if it means paying for the privilege.

I don't think anglers that go to a guide have lost the spirit of adventure, I just think they just want to get up the learning curve as fast as possible, and possibly have a little reassurance that at least they are somewhere on the right track.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Phil, Jeff and I are booked up for a guiding day with Graham Elliot on July 17th.

Why are we doing it?

For me it is about meeting an incredibly talented angler and learning from him. I've been fishing for 35 years and I'm still learning! Aren't we all?

We will be fishing the Lodden a river which I've never seen before. Graham tells me it is very much like the Bristol Avon which is our local. When ever I go fishing I am always seeking to improve my own angling skills and I'm sure Graham will teach me stuff I might never had considered before.

Is it a quick fix? I don't think so? It will be a very chilled out day, I'm not looking to increase my P.B's or gain any glory shots. Hopefully and I'm sure it will, teach me little things that I can use on my own river, which I can adapt to suit my circumstances.

So I'm paying for private tuition, is that wrong? I know many other anglers on FM have done the same.

It is going to be a fantastic day and I can't wait.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I can't see anything wrong with that, but its when people start paying 600 odd quid a day to fish with Matt Hayes I think its stupid.

J K

Reaction score
Whats wrong with being taught to do something by someone more qualified than yourself. You wouldn't expect someone to learn to drive by being self taught would you. So why is fishing any different.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Myself, Dave Chilton, Dave Colclough and Eddie Bibby paid for fly casting lessons with Hywel Morgan. It was amongst the best ?50.00 we've ever spent to improve our fly fishing skills. Both Dave's are already quite skilled casters but they'll both tell you how much better they are after having lessons from a master.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I dont see anything wrong with it myself.
I know a few who have not fished rivers for years, and some who have never fished a river just the puddles, and there are those who dont fish stillwaters often.

They see it as a way of getting back in touch and catching up, not only that we never stop learning, do we?.

I started fishing with a centre pin, some of my mates have never used one, i dont mind helping them learn how to trot using a pin, its good to see someone catch a fish with a method they have never used before, and i don't charge them.

When you are paying a fare price fine, but ?600 that's taking the P.

ps, steve you will love the lodden some great chub and barbel fishing.

F

Fred Bonney

Steve,I learnt a bit from GE,after winning a prize day out.
I don't think there is any harm,in learning just that little bit more.If you can afford it,why not?
Every angler I have met, and befriended has improved, my skills,just a little bit each time.

Perhaps we shouldn't buy,how to,books and mags,either Phil?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think its a good thing if you can afford it and you think you can learn something new, there is always someone who knows more than the average angler and I bet he could teach most on here something. Skills in every department of life are passed down through the generations and angling is no different, thats how everyone learns.

Must admit though they do charge a lot of dosh some of them.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Perhaps Phil knows it all???

I really can't wait Ray.

Fred, when are you coming down my way? ;-)

Graham, Graham is very competitive, price wise I mean.

F

Fred Bonney

July 20th!;o)

Soon,I'll find a pub b&b and bring the Boss.

I certainly like the look of that lake where Wendi's tench came from.The river and the canal don't look bad either.

How much are houses... ;O0

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That's a date then Fred ;-)
?25 and you can fish all of them!
3 bed 185k.

Sorry Phil back to the thread, do you know it all?

P

Steve I forgot more than you'll ever know :0)

P

Fred did those anglers charge you for improving your fishing skills? I don't think so!

If you?ve never fished, or rarely fish, I can see the point of having tuition, not to sure about paying for it though! Most clubs worth their salt run tuition sessions free. But anglers who have fished rivers for 30 years paying for a guide, I still don?t get, unless they?re thickos and crap anglers.

But then again I guess they can be in vogue in certain circles, by saying Oh I went on a guiding session with X angler.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You gave guidance to the whereabouts of a big eel recently (Tim)?. Only verbally yes, but there is no difference. And that was after asking me not to say anythng.

M

MarkTheSpark

I can't see the problem with anyone wanting some help or an angler being paid to give help. You're right, Phil, it's because they feel inadequate - but it takes someone very clever to know their own weak points.

Anyway, how much would YOU charge to take someone fishing for the day, Phil?

J

john conway

Tim!! where did he come from?

I'm hoping our lass will buy me a fly fishing lesson for my 65th birthday. On my 60th she bought me 2 days pike fishing in Ireland with a guide, not only did he take me fishing, with boat provided, we also had a few good pup crawls and he fast tracked me in with the locals, being a catholic also helped on that front, all be it I?m not a very good one, and on top of all that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

T

The Monk

river guiding, oh thats what it is,

I thought it was something to do with the Girl Guides?

I was just going to book a few