You best and worst fishing related momnets of 2011

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Fly fishing - taking a half day lesson on fly casting and improvong 100% (well there was a lot of room for improvement)

Coarse fishing - catching some nice carp of the top on bread and then when everyone else was doing that baiting the margins and taking the carp there

Best buy - "brand new" unused 11ft Drenan casrp feeder for £35 abd £50 for a seatbox with all the trimmings in immaculate condiition

Worst - being warned by the powers that be on FM that my "banter" wasn't wanted and any more and I'd be banned for life:mad:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Best: Catching a humdinging perch

Worst: Having a shimano baitrunner bail arm fail (again) on day 1 in cuba, then breaking my 'heavy' rod in cuba also not that it mattered so much as my second reel was already knackered. Thankfully I took 2 rods and 2 reels.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Best: Watching a near 40lb grass carp swim 10ft past my floating bait then turn and inspect it, then swallowing it... Ahhhhh!!!

Worst? None.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Best: My 27lb Pike on the last weekend of the 2010 season, not only for the fish - but I couldn't have wished to catch it with any other angler than my fishing buddy that day.

Worst: None really, it's been a reasonable year with no disasters.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Most humorous (for anyone that was watching) after a sort out and leaving both landing net handles in the garage, landing a few good tincas from low water using a bank stick:eek:mg:
Jerry
PS Yes, there was a net on the end:wh

dangermouse

Reaction score
Best - Catching my first double figure carp. Although the tench I caught on a piece of sweet potato was a close second.

Worst - Realising that the moisture on the back of my trousers wasn`t dew but coffee and that I hadn`t fitted the lid to my flask correctly.

terry m

Reaction score
Best - 1st 20lb pike from the Avon in February, then increasing the PB to 21-12 in December. Also getting my best UK Common at 29-10.
Also a days predator fishing on Lake Delavan in Wisconsin as a thankyou from some business acquaintances. Caught plenty but no monsters, but great to try it 'The American' way!

Worst - being flat rodded by a pike in November, then my drag sticking long enough for the line to part - gutted!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Best - being offered a nice little 1000yard backwater on the Thames including a weir all to myself for a nice affordable price.

Worst - Only fishing it once since there's been no flow going through it at all.

Best - being offered 7miles of Wey Navigation for our Association for a very generous price, thank you National Trust.

Worst - Fishing has been bad all over the Thames this year, but being beaten by Mr Seaman who had a nice barbel and me not having scratch. Most embarrasing especially with guests there.

soffit

Reaction score
Starting fishing all over again

The fact that the Royalty is 200 miles away. I slept rough there one night in my youth and remember all sorts of sucking and blowings in the shallows[ spawning?] Then wandering about at first light. Don't recall any barbel but I do remember huge roach just hanging in mid-water in the slacks. I thought they were bream at first until I noted the red fins!

caesarson

Reaction score
Best - leaving the UAE to return to the UK for my fishing obsession

Worst - telling the wife and my 2 year old we were leaving the UAE for my fishing obsession

Best buy - Daiwa SR3 Pole.

Best fish of the year. My first ever Grayling. Up until that fish. I had only ever been a fish in pictures

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Best" - Christmas Eve and Boxing Day barbel of 6 and 7 and a bit pounds. Not merely on account of the "A Christmas Fish Thing" but also the satisfaction felt from taking fish on the only two occasions I have taken out and used the old Speedia Wide Drum I've owned since I was an 18-year-old and the self-built 22 years ago 12ft 1.25 / 1.5 lb through-actioned carbon-kevlar rod for whiskery jobs this year.

"Worst" - Hmm. Not so much a moment or moments, but a series of confirmations - little mental "clicks", another set of pennies dropping - of an increasingly strong suspicion that I have had for a number of years that unless Angling (both Coarse and Game) and the Angling Media that now not so much as represents the pastime but either touts it cheapo Del Boy Style or promotes it as some aspirational, must-have, super-desirable, big-bucks Brand have a thorough rethink about their values and ways of doing things, Angling is going to lose a heck of a lot more Anglers and future recruits in the next few years.

This from the most incorrigibly upbeat and positive of people, in the real world and on any riverbank he finds himself.

agamemnon

Reaction score
best: new pb 27 lbs 4oz mirror carp from low stocked venue

worst: getting snapped up by a cat fish on 38lbs braid and missing out on a new uk pb

roll on 2012 and many more hours of pleasure on the banks

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
BEST: Catching my 13lb barbel from the ''hard'' ribble!

WORST: loosing an estimated 20lb pike on a shop bought trace and then watch the poor ****** jump about trying to dislodge the lure!

Mark

jimmybobkin

Reaction score
Best; Catching my first ever barbel (even if it was from a stillwater).
An old gent who, seeing me struggling to get a bite, offered some prawns for bait...and it worked a treat.
Worst; None

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Best- Starting on the Yorkshire River Derwent and catching 3 Barbel and a Grayling on a new stretch, first evening.

Worst- loosing 2 good Chub on the same stretch in one evening. Gutted.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Catching a PB bream

Worst was loosing a massive chub x2 on the Nidd

ronbc5

Reaction score
Best - Taking up my Rods again after many years away and just to relax and be near water.

Worst - Being asked to go fishing with a grown man in my road arranged by his missus and him sulking all the way home in the car because I accidentally caught more than him, so much for a relaxing day out. Never again.......

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Best 1: The Grayling fish-in on the Lower Itchen fishery, lovely venue and great company

Best 2. A fish-in in the midlands, shame about the poor management of the fishery. Great Craiq and a superb B&B though

Worst: Well, that's already been said. Sad