Anglers sink canoeists' right to roam bid

C

Cakey

thats it now...........we will get no backing from them !

H

Huw

I'm surprised, and somewat dissapointed. Firstly that use of the wonderful, and beautiful river system of this country came under debate in this manner. Secondly, that anglers chose to stop others from enjoying the pleasures of our waterways.
I have fished quite a few riverbanks in the past, and, on the odd (very odd) occasion that a canoeist, or rowing boat has come into my swim, the occupants have always been thoroughly polite, and apologetic. Then you rest the swim for 20 minutes, and cast again. Plenty of time for a brew and snack.
Whats the big problem? Can't we all enjoy the beauty of our countryside, and waterways happily together without this kind of animosity?

E

EC

Sounds idyllic Huw!

Sadly, parts of the Dee and Middle Severn do not always see the thoroughly polite and apologetic canoeists that you have experienced mate.

Thats said I agree in principle with much of what you say!

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Huw, sure everyone should all be able to enjoy the waterways like us.

But they should pay like us to.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Christian just hit the nail on the head, yes everyone one of us should be able to use these beautiful waters....if we ALL pay for it!

So therefore i am in total agreement with it.

Would they like it if we went along to one of there clubs picked a canoe up and just used it for FREE, i think not!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Huw you got it right mate,it won't be stopping me from going were I like anyway and I am sure it won't stop all the others .Who do you think is going to stop them the police?no criminal damage and nothing anyone can do really.We will be having licences for having licences soon madness bad move on your lots behalf like Cakey says.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Gav, why should anglers pay and other water users such as canoesists shouldn't?

C

Chris Bishop

I pay an EA licence for my boat. The money goes on maintaining the rivers.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Christian I didn't say I think anglers should pay for one either,it's only a pittance they receive of us really so I think the rivers should be clean and full of fish without us shelling out anyway .Lets face it they find 4500000 grand for a logo so they should be able to keep our rivers sorted without the need for licences.

C

Chris Bishop

So where does the money come from to keep rivers navigable..?

I don't use EA slipways, moorings, locks etc; but still get clobbered for ?50-ish a year and also two rod licences which works out at around another ?50.

I also own shares in a number of other boats and they're all licensed, say another ?20 of the subscription I pay to a club which owns them goes towards that.

I have no problem with anyone enjoying our rivers as long as they make some sort of contribution towards their upkeep.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's a prudent measure by the government.

I'm all in favour of everyone enjoying their sport on the river, providing it's the rights bit of river and they pay for the privilege.

They can't have carte blanche to paddle just where they like though, which is what they wanted. There are sensitive areas, such as SSSIs, where their intrusion can cause all sorts fo problems.

C

Cakey

if they get to go where they want will I be able to follow in my hovercraft ?

C

Chris Bishop

I'm all in favour of everyone enjoying their sport on the river, providing it's the rights bit of river and they pay for the privilege.

They can't have carte blanche to paddle just where they like though, which is what they wanted. There are sensitive areas, such as SSSIs, where their intrusion can cause all sorts fo problems.

The Govt isn't saying no to access, it's saying they have to negotiate it with riparian owners and oe th line like we have to.

I'd be all for it if they brought in some sort of licensing, so they pay towards the upkeep of the rivers they enjoy like I and countless others do.

H

Huw

I love my fishing, especially as I don't get as much time as I would like to wet a line. Also though, a couple of my friends live in Monmouth, and now and again, we have taken canoes out on the Wye and had a brilliant day out. It has also helped me spot some likely fishing spots which I would possibly have missed on the bank, Phil pays for membership to the rowing club. He also fishes, and has his E.A. license, as do I. I suppose it's doubtful that the rowing club contributes financially to the E.A. but they do help keep the banks and pathways clear, and accessible.
Maybe the idea of introducing a river access license wouldn't be rejected out of hand by those who are serious about the waterways. Of course there will be some who will refuse, and buck the system, but penalties for not having fishing licenses were higher last year than ever before, so the policing is in place, it would just need to be extended.
Am I completely naieve, or just stupid? I know I don't have rose coloured glasses, maybe my eyes are simply bloodshot

C

Chris Bishop

I fish three days a week all winter on average and love every minute of it.

I have no problem with other people enjoying some of the marvellous places I am fortunate enough to be able to fish because I own or have access to boats.

Why should we pay for the privilege while others want to take advantage of our countryside without putting anything back into it.

Rivers are going to become increasingly-pressured environments in decades to come as a result of climate change and massively increased abstraction to supply the hundreds of thousands of new homes which are going to be built.

If you want to use and enjoy them, please show your appreciation by paying to preserve them, rather than freeloading.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

With every day that passes, this Govt. sinks more into losing the next election, me thinks they?re scuttling around for votes and when they did the numbers, 50K as apposed to 3m, the decision was inevitable.

The results from riparian landowners will I?ll wager, be similar, but with a financial dimension. Anglers paying 1-3k per kilometre on average at the moment for exclusive access, with the distinct possibility of depreciation of angling rentals for shared access with canoeists. Riparian owners return?.. a few hundred quid per owner if they?re lucky for canoeing access. Ergo the figures are likely to show a loss on what they?re getting now.

I recon the boat is well and truly holed now!

Oh dear! What a shame!

goody

Reaction score
I am not to sure that the best way to arrive at policy, is by how many people sign a petition.

The whole buisness of e-mail petitions is becoming a farce.