Another Old Cane Rod

valleybrown

Reaction score
Hi Everybody and Happy New Year

Today I have started my 2012 clear out. I'm trying to get a car back in the garage:eek:

I have found an "old" cane rod. I refrain from using the word "Vintage" as I'm not sure how you define "Vintage". Wouldn't want to upset any of us past forty years of age;)

It's a Fenwicks of Wolverhampton R Sealey’s Tudor King cane fishing rod. Three piece 11'?
Manufactured by Precision Rods, Tudor Works, Marsden Road, Redditch, United Kingdom.

Any comment and info about the rod would be appreciated. It looks like it's in excellent condition. Although I'm not sure what I should be looking for when judging it's condition:confused:

I'm just wondering what to do with it. Seems a shame to be gathering dust in a placky tube in the corner of the garage.
Would it be OK to actually go fishing with it:eek: Most of the fishing I do is river fishing on a small river.

I've done the Google thing and this didn't reveal a great deal of info.

valleybrown

Reaction score
One sold on ebay in August for about £55.
Not certain that a garage is the best storage space for a cane rod, give it a bend see how much it creeks!!:wh

Hi Fred

Thank you for replying and the info.

The garage has a partition wall and a separate insulated room and is heated. I "need" somewhere to hide....I mean tie rigs, mix bait and spool up:wh
The temp never goes below 19 centigrade so I'm hoping the temp is OK for cane rods?
Before that they were kept in my Grandads spare bedroom. I've found two more rods in my grandads old fishing holdall.

I've bent it but it doesn't creek, should it have a creek:confused:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
To judge the condition of a cane rod:

Check along the length of the rod. Are there any obvious splits or visible joint lines along the cane sections? If there are you've probably got delamination of the cane

Are there any visible repairs? A repair will make the rod almost worthless unless it's a desirable make and type.

Is the rod straight? A slight curve to the top section isn't a great worry, but any twists or dogs hind-leggedness is a problem.

Assemble the rod and give it a waggle. Do all the ferrules fit tightly? Can you feel any obvious knocks? Do the ferrules pop when you pull them apart? Loose ferrules or knocks when assembled will require expert attention. Well fitting ferrules will give a sharp pop when pulled apart.

Is the makers name or logo in good condition? Missing logos will at least halve the value of the rod.

Is the rod in good condition with all the rings in place and free from corrosion, whippings neat and tidy and good varnish? Is the handle clean and free from any obvious damage to the cork?

If you can answer all the above correctly then you've got a good un. Check on Ebay for value. Most common makes will come up fairly regularly and you'll get a feel for what the rod is worth.

Personally if the rod is in good nick I'd give it a go - I enjoy using cane rods.

Last edited:

valleybrown

Reaction score
To judge the condition of a cane rod:

Check along the length of the rod. Are there any obvious splits or visible joint lines along the cane sections? If there are you've probably got delamination of the cane

Are there any visible repairs? A repair will make the rod almost worthless unless it's a desirable make and type.

Is the rod straight? A slight curve to the top section isn't a great worry, but any twists or dogs hind-leggedness is a problem.

Assemble the rod and give it a waggle. Do all the ferrules fit tightly? Can you feel any obvious knocks? Do the ferrules pop when you pull them apart? Loose ferrules or knocks when assembled will require expert attention. Well fitting ferrules will give a sharp pop when pulled apart.

Is the makers name or logo in good condition? Missing logos will at least halve the value of the rod.

Is the rod in good condition with all the rings in place and free from corrosion, whippings neat and tidy and good varnish? Is the handle clean and free from any obvious damage to the cork?

If you can answer all the above correctly then you've got a good un. Check on Ebay for value. Most common makes will come up fairly regularly and you'll get a feel for what the rod is worth.

Personally if the rod is in good nick I'd give it a go - I enjoy using cane rods.

Thanks Sean. Very detailed and very helpful.

There are no splits or visible joint lines along the cane sections.
I can not find any visible repairs.
The rod is straight, does not have any twists and doesn't have any droop or sag in the top section.
It's been waggled and couldn't feel any obvious knocks and the sections fit very tightly. There is a bl00dy great pop when you pull the sections apart. They are very very shiny and I'm sure would glint in direct sunlight:eek:
Logos are clearly visible, aren't damaged or faded and look brand new:D

Generally it looks brand new. Very clean and shiny!

I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever been used:eek:mg:

I'm very tempted to put Marco Cortesi Mk2 on and go for a walk down the river:wh

Before I do, I need to find out about general care and maintenace:(

Ta for the info.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Wipe it down with a dry cloth after use.

Keep the ferrules clean (don't grease them)

Put together with hands together, pull apart with hands apart.

Don't twist the ferrules when pulling apart.

Store hanging in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.

If storing in the rod bag, make sure the rod is dry before putting it in the bag. I leave mine overnight before putting away.

That's it really.

You'll find it takes a little getting used to when trotting if you've used carbon a lot. Just keep your elbow close to your body and don't wave your arm all over the place.

Now-a-days cane rods are probably best used in situations where you can use rod rests. That way you can enjoy playing fish on them without the arm ache that goes with holding them all day!

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Given your description you'd probably get towards the top end of what it's worth. Expect around £80 with a possibility of £100 if you attract enough interest. Give it a try before selling though.

valleybrown

Reaction score
Wipe it down with a dry cloth after use.

Keep the ferrules clean (don't grease them)

Put together with hands together, pull apart with hands apart.

Don't twist the ferrules when pulling apart.

Store hanging in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.

If storing in the rod bag, make sure the rod is dry before putting it in the bag. I leave mine overnight before putting away.

That's it really.

You'll find it takes a little getting used to when trotting if you've used carbon a lot. Just keep your elbow close to your body and don't wave your arm all over the place.

Now-a-days cane rods are probably best used in situations where you can use rod rests. That way you can enjoy playing fish on them without the arm ache that goes with holding them all day!

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Given your description you'd probably get towards the top end of what it's worth. Expect around £80 with a possibility of £100 if you attract enough interest. Give it a try before selling though.

Just back from a break in the Middle East. Managed to go ray fishing in Abu Dhabi but not with a cane rod!

Thanks for the info Sean.

After a long and heart renching few weeks I've decided not to use the cane rod. I don't think I'm experienced enough really and I wouldn't get as much enjoyment out of it as somebody more expereinced.

So it's looking for new home. Fleabay here it comes methinks. Thanks for all the help and advice on this thread to date. I am really grateful.