Cortesi mods...

soffit

Reaction score
Better bearings would be nice but I wonder if you can make the ratchet softer. I have to bend my rod damn near double before it gives. There are thousands around so why aren't we improving the 'Pin for the Proles'

I have a rotary grinder... I could make it ratchetless in seconds:)

stuartpengs

Reaction score
Better bearings would be nice but I wonder if you can make the ratchet softer. I have to bend my rod damn near double before it gives. There are thousands around so why aren't we improving the 'Pin for the Proles'

I have a rotary grinder... I could make it ratchetless in seconds:)

If you want to do that simply take the check pawl out it will only take you a couple of seconds once you have removed the drum in fact you can do it without taking the drum off.....Saves all that grinding!:eek:mg:

soffit

Reaction score
If you want to do that simply take the check pawl out it will only take you a couple of seconds once you have removed the drum in fact you can do it without taking the drum off.....Saves all that grinding!:eek:mg:

Thanks for that but I do like a little bit of ratchet If only to break the silence we all crave apparently in a busy world...

rubio

Reaction score
I like the ratchet too but find that mine self detaches and I have nearly lost it more than once

mol

Reaction score
I like the ratchet too but find that mine self detaches and I have nearly lost it more than once

I'm sure somebody slipped a washer over and it stopped that problem.

Bad explanation time. If you look at the check pawl it's held in place by a small length of folded metal, kinda like a ribbon. I removed mine and just bent it so it pushed on the check pawl with more force and that solved my problem.

EDIT

Soffit, doing the opposite would lighten the pressure on the ratchet so might help make it softer

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Bad explanation time. If you look at the check pawl it's held in place by a small length of folded metal, kinda like a ribbon. I removed mine and just bent it so it pushed on the check pawl with more force and that solved my problem.

EDIT

Soffit, doing the opposite would lighten the pressure on the ratchet so might help make it softer

Chuck the ****** in the bin and get yourself an Okuma Sheffield...There problem solved!!!!

Mark

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't touch a Sheffield if you even gave it to me for FREE!! Overpriced and over rated!

I just stated the OKUMA as a reference George! my personal preference is for Chris Lythe center pins of which I have two on order...But you might have thought me a little big headed if I had mentioned that!

Happy new year

Mark

George387

Reaction score
I just stated the OKUMA as a reference George! my personal preference is for Chris Lythe center pins of which I have two on order...But you might have thought me a little big headed if I had mentioned that!

Happy new year

Mark

Not at all Mark as I've said on many occasions live to your means and be in debt to no man! Worked for me all these years and I can honestly say I'm financially sound, so can splash out on better reels but I dont walk buy the cheaper reels which I think will do just a good job as something that cost £500.;)
Happy New Year & tight Lines for 2012
George

soffit

Reaction score

EDIT

Yer But... Spring steel can let go suddenly. I dread to think what the spares situation is; somewhere between non-existent and "Your joking mate!". I was thinking of slowly reprofileing the pawl. I think there is at least one owner of these reels with an engineering background on here...

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Chuck the ****** in the bin and get yourself an Okuma Sheffield...There problem solved!!!!

Mark

I think you should; buy one, confirm your predudices, then throw it in my bin;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not at all Mark as I've said on many occasions live to your means and be in debt to no man! Worked for me all these years and I can honestly say I'm financially sound, so can splash out on better reels but I dont walk buy the cheaper reels which I think will do just a good job as something that cost £500.;)
Happy New Year & tight Lines for 2012
George

Thanks George,
well, I am now too financially sound after 5 years of hell getting out of debt (lovely girl my ex!) and the CL CP reels are just a little investment (use one, save one) to reward myself now I am free!

TIGHT LINES
Mark

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I was thinking of slowly reprofileing the pawl. I think there is at least one owner of these reels with an engineering background on here...

Yup. A bit of work with a diamond file or some emery cloth should do it. Rounding off the end of the pawl slightly will soften the ratchet, but don't overdo it!