Barbed Hooks

Clive (Compact Angler ACA)

Reaction score
I was talking to the owner of my local tackle shop the other day. His club is in the Farnborough (Hants)area. He told me that the club have banned the use of barbless hooks larger than size 14. Micro barbs are prefered. They purport to have the support of the Environment agency who are allegedly saying that barbless hooks are responsible for a very high precentage of the damage caused to fish through bad hooking and that studies at Sparsholt College have indicated 70% less fish mortality through the use of micro barbed hooks.
Does this also, yet again, open up the argument in favour of circle hooks where 95% of catches are known to be in the corner of the mouth without having to strike, the action which is said to cause most damage to fish.

I have not yet qualified any of what I have written and it is just heresay at this stage. If it is of value to pursue these points I will willingly seek more meaningful information on the matter.

This matter may be old hat to some of you but I am sure that the forum will have a view on the matter. Learning all the time.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I believe barbless hooks have been banned on Cemex fisheries for at least a couple of years for this very reason.

I don't know anything about cirle hooks though.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Do you have any more info on the circle hooks Clive, I've never come across them before.

Nice perch Clive, was that the two pounder on the canal ;-)

goody

Reaction score
Clive, I have caught a number of carp with severe mouth damage but dont't feel it is caused by either barb, barbless, or striking.

I think the jury is still out as to what is best, micro barb or barbless but interested to know what youn mean by circle hooks.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I was involved a few years ago with a study into barbless hook's.
The study showed that a barbless hook did more damage than a barb hook.

I use whisker barb for a great deal of my fishing and have no problem's at all.

mick boswell

Reaction score
Only been fishing for a couple of months so my opinion is hardly based on experience but given a choice if someone played me with a rod & line I would rather be caught with a barbless hook that a barbed one. If the line breaks surely its got a better chance of coming out of its own accord?

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I know one of the lads involed in the CEMEX/RMC study on barbed/barbless hooks and the results were very conclusive.

My club has also banned barbless hooks in larger sizes when used with a bolt rig.

alan

Reaction score
Steve if the circle hooks are the same design as used in sea fishing they are very good.
they were origanly used by longliners as there is no need to strike.
the shape gives a very good hook hold, and they are just as easy to remove as a standard "J" shape hook.

S

Steve King

I think that barbless cause more damage. A whisker barb or even those hooks with a flattened section are much kinder to fishe's mouths because they don't rip or tear during the fight.

Personally I always flatten the barbs of hooks when barbel fishing as they rarely slip the hook and the "bump" of the flattened barb stops the hook from tearing.

Clive (Compact Angler ACA)

Reaction score
I was unaware of the severity of the problems which are obviously caused by barbless hooks. This would appear to be a complete 360 degree turn around. It just shows how things have developed during the 20 year lay off that I have had from fishing. I will read more about this subject and try to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Steve - on the subject of circle hooks. I have just started to trial them for myself but have only caught 6 fish on them so far. Having said that each of those fish was hooked classic circle hook style in the corner of the mouth. If you go to the search box at the top of the page and type in circle hooks you will get a list of responses. The top of the list is a thread that was started by Ron Clay in April 2006. The first response to his question from Evan just about says it all and provides some interesting internet links to other web sites written on the subject. With a circle hook you do not strike. The bait is taken and you wait for 2 or 3 seconds and just reel in gently. they are completely self hooking and 95% guaranteed to lodge in the corner of the fishes mouth. It is the most wierd feeling not to strike, as one instinctively does, when you get a bite.

That Perch was not two pounds Steve it was at least twelve and a half pounds, ask ****y. Darn Cheek of the man. Definately no red for you on the kennet

Ray - I think that the general consensus is that the whisker barb is the better bet. The sizes of some of the barbs 30 to 40 years ago was quite awesome bu one didn't think twice about that then.

Many thanks everyone - Clive

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cheers Clive I will check it out.

I was up at 8.30am, and you were up when?

hehehehehe ;-)

See you soon mate.

F

Fred Bonney

Circle hooks for sea fishing are fine,as generally the fish are taken for food.

As I understand it, they are difficult to remove, without some effort,(and damage?)when using them on fish you going to put back!

alan

Reaction score
Fred, more sea anglers put fish back now, and most sea matches are catch and release.
ive been using the circle hooks for about 2 years and they are no harder to remove then the standard "J" hook.
push the eye of the hook gently towards the point and the practicly fall out.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Silly question, but does a barbed hook with the barbed flattened count as a barbless hook as far as fishery rules are concerned?

Where is Baz when you need him?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nigel, I can't speak for all match fisheries but the ones I know such as Woodlands View and Moorlands Farm for instance state specifically barbless only, not pinched down barbs or bumps they must be 100% barbless. They check your hooks regularly with a piece of wool and if you caught using anything other than barbless you are off, immediately.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This barbed/barbless argument raged after Clattercote this year due to the amount of fish with damaged mouths that were caught. I personally favour barbed hooks and, as someone of advanced years shall we say, I have used them for the majority of my fishing life (there was a time when there was no such thing as a barbless hook believe it or not). I was taught how to remove a hook safely from the fishes mouth and taught not to push a disgorger down a fishes throat, something I see lots of so called experienced anglers do.

I have never studied the affects of either but I do know that I see more damaged mouths now in barbless only fisheries than I ever have in my lifetime before they became compulsory.