Advice needed on rods

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I want to buy a new set of carp rods but there are so many on the market to choose from.

I was looking at the Nash hooligan TX, had a little play with one in the tackle shop.

I liked the light weight of it and the whipping action seems good too.

Now A friend offered me a set of JRC blades (brand new) for litte dollar, thing is I don't know what they are like.

Anyone got a JRC who can tell me what they are like?

I'm looking for rod that's light in weight.

mogs

Reaction score
Century Fat boy Slims are very light and are 1/2 inch butt diameter superb action
but are pricey climax tackle are cheapest

W

Wolfman Woody

If it's a friend Claudia, can't you fix up to meet and have a feel? No need to buy though, keep your head and if you don't like them, walk away.

I liked the earlier Hooliguns and nearly bought some until I saw the Greys Prodigy. Do the Hooliguns still have three-legged rings all through? They were impressive in 2.75lb.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Yes I think they still have 3 legged rings and it was the 2.75TC I had a feel off....must say I was impressed with it....very light weight and a good whipping action

njb51

Reaction score
What do you want to use them for? Long range casting or fishing margins? Snag or open water? Casting weight? Casting big PVA bags?

Test curve does not tell you much about a rod. Instead you need to look at the intended application. A soft rod is unlikely to cast a big PVA bag very far etc etc.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Jonny

Defo not long range (happy if I can cast 50 yrds lol)......more open waters but the occasional snag....casting weight around 2oz...what do you class a big PVA bag? Guess I'd say more a small one....

Richard

Had an offer of a friend for 2 Pursuit for a good prize but they were 3lb TC :-(.....will go to a tackle shop to see what the 2.5 and 2.75 feels like.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Claudia'
What test curve are you looking at and what kind of money you spending.

Fox, nash much the same.

Got money Free Spirit can't get better.

njb51

Reaction score
I hear good things about the Fox Warrior XTs though I do have one of the older models that is not so good for casting heavy weights like a big PVA bag, which can easily weigh in excess of 6oz or more.

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm becomming a little worried about Claudia's requirement that it should have "a good whipping action".

Is it really required for fishing - or something else, perhaps?

Whatever you go for, you can't beat havign a good play with them first. A 2.5lb rod can be a lot stronger than and better caster than a 2.75lb rod, depending on who's make and what it's made of. Similarly, a nice soft 3lb TC can deliver a far better feel than a fast taper 2.75lb.

Don't just look at figures and reviews. Go have a good feel.

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
price is a big factor i have never used a jrc rod but if my bivvy is anything to go buy i say go for it

E

Evan

Fox Warrior XT is a nice rod, much nicer than the Shimano Hyperloop for the same money, tho if offered a better deal for the Shim then don't say no.

The Fox is lighter and much better balanced, the Shim feels top heavy and unwieldy by comparison, as if it had a half pound weight tied to the tip ring. Then again, they are rods intended and destined to spend 99% of their lives in rod rests...

Both available in a very acceptable range of test curves, not felt the need to go over 2.5 lbs myself and prefer 2.25.... will handle any fish that swims in british inland waters.

Milo

Reaction score
I'm not an expert granted, but, I would've thought that a 2.25lb rod would be better for shorter range casting a 2oz lead?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Claudia,

For that kind of money it has to be the fox worrior xt.

My youngest son jack has these rods 2.75lb test curve and they are a great rod at the price.

One of my other sons ben( sounds like ive got shed fulls of sons) wants to swap his esp 2.75 for them but jacks not having it.

Have a good look in your local tackle shop, i don't know where you are, but the xt's can not be matched by anything else in that price range.

The other way is to buy second hand, but then you never know what the rod's have been through.

Good luck if i hear of anything will let you know.

Foxy

Reaction score
Im with Graham on this one. More whipping information plz?

;)