Line clips

Carpless

Reaction score
Just got my new carp rods and they come with like clips unlike my old rods. Sounds like a stupid question but seeing as i've never used them before I haven't the slightest clue how to, what are they for and how do you use them?

catch

Reaction score
cast out as normal put your swinger or bobbin on the line then put the line in clip on the rod .they give better indication by riseing to the top of the rod where line coming from the reel would be limited to the line gate on the reel . with onetoners doesnt make much of diffrence . jo

John Southgate

Reaction score
i use mine when spodding. as i'm still trying to get my accuracy (read i'm pretty rubbish at casting), i half fill my first spod with water and cast to where i want to spod. I'f i'm happy with the spot i put the clip on and reel in. fill the spod 3/4 full with whatever i want to get out there and recast. All i need to worry about is aiming for the right spot and the clip ensures i get the distance right. As i only use the small pocket rocket spods i can just take that off, tie my rig on and recast to the spot with the line still in the clip.

am sure i'm going to get told this is a load of rubbish but it works for me ;-)

B

Big Rik

think you might be thinking of the clip on the reel John, whereas Poult is talking about a line clip which is attached to the rod, which as Jo stated, gives a more acute angle between buzzer, indicator and reel, so that indicator movement is accentuated.

John Southgate

Reaction score
yeah sorry, read it in a rush. is there a risk when you clip to the rod that a big run could see your rod heading into the water?

B

Big Rik

the line goes into the clip, but will pull out, not that different to the clip on an indicator and just an extension of the old version of an elastic band wrapped around the rod with the line tucked under it.

F

Frothey

they were more of a pre-baitrunner thing where people fished with open bail arms tostop the line being pulled of the spool when fishing tight lines.

B

Big Rik

the original Solar ones were called bolt clips, used to act as a bolt rig when the fish hit the clip

F

Frothey

mmmmmm bits of blackwidow rubbers wrapped around the rod and tied with cable ties......small boys playing football in the park, jumpers for goalposts

Carpless

Reaction score
Lol. Haven't looked at this thread in a few days.. U two crack me up