Deadbait flavouring/additives

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Anybody any experience of whether spicing up your deadbaits with additive [I'm thinking specifically a winterized oil] makes any difference ? I still have my Bury Hill zander obsession and this winter to say the fish are cute is putting it mildly. There is no doubt they are pressured fish & I'm looking for anything that might give me a bit of an edge. I quite like the idea of an oil or flavouring [?] creating a bigger scent signature/trail but most of what I've read seems pretty inconclusive. It can do no harm I guess but does it do any good ?

Skippy

greeny1321

Reaction score
I got myself some winterised herring oil a couple of months back and started experimenting with injecting it, sometimes with the addition of a bit of predator plus and so far I don't think it has made much difference at all. I have caught fish when using it but on the same days I have caught fish on the other rod with plain old fish on the hooks.

It's still early days so I cant draw any solid conclusions yet but I'm starting to think, like you said, that it doesn't seem to do any harm and at a few quid a bottle it's worth a shot!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I have used different oils injected into dead baits but the big flat spot which shows immediately on the surface is in the wrong place - it needs to be rolling along the bottom to lay the scent trail not along the surface - any ideas anyone ?

terry m

Reaction score
I spend a large amount of my fishing in the colder months sat behind deadbaits, so have used many different approaches with mixed results.

Dynamite do a 'paint on' scent trail, the red one, that works well on herrings and native coarse fish. Mackerel benefit from an injetcion of about 5ml of winterised mackerel oil. Both of these products have made a difference, when fishing 3 rods it is easy to discern the baits that are more readily picked up.

But, this year I have been fishing a new 60 acre syndicate gravel pit that gets virtually no attention from pikers, and I have noticed that flavoured baits are almost never taken! I can only think that because the lack of pressure on the pit, the flavoured baits are seen as unatural? Whatever the case this is the only water that I have fished where the addition of flavouring has been counterproductive.

Slow rivers, drains or canals are likely to benefit most.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Interesting. One of the many challenges at Bury Hill is that the zeds wise up very quickly and within a week or two of the predator fishing starting just wont look at anything other than very small baits...and I do mean very small. This is fine when they are actively looking for food but when they are not a small bait doesn't have much "pulling" power in terms of scent. I've tried feeders & putting a bit of "chop" out but I'd rather my bait was the only significant food item out there. They are as fussy as hell too...last year I caught virtually all my fish on roach sections. This year they wont touch roach. Very odd.

Maybe oil soaked foam in a feeder ? Anybody tried that ?

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
If they are as finicky as you suggest Skippy, I would use attractors, but sparingly. Try the paint on dynamite scent trail painted onto the roach. It also gives the scales a pink hue.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
They are very finicky at the moment Terry. I'll mess about on one rod and see what occurs. I have a couple of other little tricks to try too. Might just be that I've not found them and what they are having ast the moment....they do wander about a bit and go off and on certain baits almost overnight.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

Ming Oil can work well. Also mixed with milk will produce a 'cloud'effect that gives a good visual impact as well. Best injected in the usual two openings.
Jerry
Tackle Box Ming Oil 250ml

What the hell is Ming Oil ? Is that Ming as in "minging" ? Dear God I smell bad enough when I get home anyway !

Sorry...checked the link now. Looks suspiciously like Thai Fish sauce to me.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

What the hell is Ming Oil ? Is that Ming as in "minging" ? Dear God I smell bad enough when I get home anyway !

It's a light oil that disperses well in cold water, Oh......it also attracts pike, not sure about Zeds:).
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Now that is interesting...albeit quite old now. The more I think about it the more I am inclined to give some sort of additive a go on one rod. It might just make a difference on a pressured water....less so perhaps on ones that dont see quite so many anglers and/or bait.

bigchub

Reaction score
Been meaning to dig that post out for you for a while. One of those threads that really gets you thinking. I have that actual article by Tony in front of me on my desk, and as you say its quite old, but I still feel is relevant.

richiekelly

Reaction score
ET eel oil available on e bay 100mil for £10 or have a look on the ET site.

Last edited:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Ming Oil can work well. Also mixed with milk will produce a 'cloud'effect that gives a good visual impact as well. Best injected in the usual two openings.
Jerry

Minge oil? Oh no. Sorry. I thought I was in Bait Box for a moment...

philblakey

Reaction score
I once tried an oily scent additive on my lures, i was given it whilst out fishing so i tried it there and then. It made the lures stink like ghandis flip flop!:)
My Mrs went mental when i got home as i keep my gear in the house, i had to wash every lure i'd put it on.....not tried it since!:)
Phil.