Gimmicks that aren't

sam vimes

Reaction score
Three fishing related things that I've heard suggested are gimmicks that I firmly believe aren't.
1) Oval blanks (Aerocast).
2) Tri-Drag (front, rear and fightin').
3) Cralusso floats (expensive but worth it).

What have you encountered that was reported to be a gimmicky that you've found to be very good?

mol

Reaction score
Have you used cralusso rocket or the zero slider Sam?

dezza

Reaction score
I often thought about having oval blanks, as long ago as 1970, during the glass period.

The whole idea of course is to create a preferred plane of bending across the X-X axis and a stiff action across the Y-Y axis. I would certainly like to try out one of these rods to see if the idea stands up in practice.

The "Fightin' Drag" concept is an excellent idea and I'm surprised that more reels don't incorporate it. To incorporate a further front drag adjustment seems a bit over the top, but I will reserve judgement until I can handle one of these reels.

dangermouse

Reaction score
What is the benefit of the Cralusso floats? Looking at the website doesn`t really explain much about them.

And while we`re at it, what`s a fighting drag? :confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have you used cralusso rocket or the zero slider Sam?

Bolo, Pellet, Rocket, Golf, Spirit, Capri, Sting and Light Rocket but not the Zero Slider.

What is the benefit of the Cralusso floats? Looking at the website doesn`t really explain much about them.:

Depends on the pattern in question. The likes of the Bolo and Surf are excellent in running water. They don't come back to the inside in the same way a standard float does.

The Rockets cast well, seemingly due to that strange slide bar arrangement.

Most of the waggler type floats are individually adjustable and both pole floats and wagglers have various permutations of tip for different sensitivities.

Bodies (the blue lumpy bits) are made of polyurathane and are all but indestructable. They don't take on water at all.

Fightin' drag is an extra adjustment on Shimano rear drag reels. Usually visible as a fin just in front of the normal rear drag knob. It's nothing new for Shimano but adding a front drag to a reel with rear and Fightin' drag is and is only found on one reel model. Sounds like overkill but it's a fantastic reel, even if most folks have ignored them completely.

barbelboi

Reaction score
What is the benefit of the Cralusso floats? Looking at the website doesn`t really explain much about them.

The fighting drag is an easy and quick way to adjust your drag tension by a lever as you’re playing a fish.
Jerry

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Three things I thought were gimmicks that turned out to be boons.

Optonic bite alarms
PVA
Slack-line fishing

And that's about it. Or does this date me? :)

dangermouse

Reaction score
The fighting drag is an easy and quick way to adjust your drag tension by a lever as you’re playing a fish.
Jerry

Well that`s a much less complicated explanation than the one in Sam`s link :D. That left me a little bemused but at that price I don`t need to worry atm.:eek:

Cheers Sam and Jerry.

Neil

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well that`s a much less complicated explanation than the one in Sam`s link :D. That left me a little bemused but at that price I don`t need to worry atm.:eek:

Cheers Sam and Jerry.

Neil

The link isn't explaining Fightin' drag. It's about that singular type of reel which is the only one with Tri-Drag.

dangermouse

Reaction score
The link isn't explaining Fightin' drag. It's about that singular type of reel which is the only one with Tri-Drag.

There`s a bit in the second paragraph talking about the Shimano explanation video. That`s what I was referring to Sam. :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Three fishing related things that I've heard suggested are gimmicks that I firmly believe aren't.
1) Oval blanks (Aerocast).
2) Tri-Drag (front, rear and fightin').
3) Cralusso floats (expensive but worth it).

What have you encountered that was reported to be a gimmicky that you've found to be very good?

Come on Sam,
how much are shimano paying you??
Seriously, I thought the oval blank thing was a bit odd, well, that was before I handled one of the float rods...superb tool!
I know the tri-drag will not be a gimmick simply because its shimano and they do not do gimmicks...before you sceptics wade in I would like to say that after using shimano for 35 years (bike bits, and fishing tackle) I have never known them to make something that is not proven to work. some years ago they bought out an oval chain ring set (cycling) and other manufactures laughed at them, but it really worked, and yes, I had a bike with one fitted it was a reel boon!

Mark

dezza

Reaction score
Seriously, I thought the oval blank thing was a bit odd, well, that was before I handled one of the float rods...superb tool!
I know the tri-drag will not be a gimmick simply because its shimano and they do not do gimmicks...before you sceptics wade in I would like to say that after using shimano for 35 years (bike bits, and fishing tackle) I have never known them to make something that is not proven to work. some years ago they bought out an oval chain ring set (cycling) and other manufactures laughed at them, but it really worked, and yes, I had a bike with one fitted it was a reel boon!

Neither the the two top companies: Shimano and Daiwa have a habit of doing gimmicks, although I didn't think much of Daiwa's idea of having the line going through the centre of the rod.

As regards the oval blank and preferred plane of bending concept. Well we have that already in the form of the "spine" on any tubular rod that utilises the wrapping of a cloth around a tapering mandril.

Most of my rods have the rod rings whipped on in line with the spine, that means that the rod bends on the stiffest plane. I have often wondered if this is right. Shouldn't the rod rings be placed where the bend of the rod takes the preferred line? Would that help casting distance and accuracy?

One thing I will say about the spine on a fishing rod blank is that it affects the "test curve" of the rod tremendously, by up to 15% in some cases, just by changing the plane of bending by 90 degrees.

This is why I get very annoyed with companies that claim silly figures like 1lb 14oz or 1lb 2oz for test curves. Sorry but such figures do not exist!

If there is a gimmick in fishing tackle, this is it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Neither the the two top companies: Shimano and Daiwa have a habit of doing gimmicks, although I didn't think much of Daiwa's idea of having the line going through the centre of the rod.

I seem to remember the Daiwa Interline beach rod. Also didn't Shakey do one similar - a 'something' boat rod?
Jerry

mol

Reaction score
I think Fox made an 'interline' rod to. It was a stalking rod if I remember correctly.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I seem to remember the Daiwa Interline beach rod. Also didn't Shakey do one similar - a 'something' boat rod?
Jerry

The interline boat rod (and others) was quickly dropped by Diawa (and others!) when they realized that sales were static thanks to reviews in the sea fishing mags!!

Mark

audi

Reaction score
Shakey's was called the "Cyclops" I think. It failed because the tip diameter was just too great, too heavy and looked bad. Daiwa's interline however was brilliant; especially on windy beaches. I had a 13' version and fished 25/30lb straight through if the sea was weedy (leader knot issues) or 15lb with a tapered leader. It cast every bit as good as my Zippys. Only downside was that it was silver....I had to get my cojones out to use it, especially in League matches:eek: Great rods....don't forget your wire though!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I seem to remember the Daiwa Interline beach rod.

They did a carp (stalking) rod along similar lines IIRC. I don't think that sold either. It did intrigue me though. Wish I could find one to try out.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Come on Sam,
how much are shimano paying you??

Honestly, nowt. I enthuse because I'm genuinely enthusiastic about certain products.;)

I forgot to mention the Ex-Ceed disgorgers. It's a bit strange, even for me, to enthuse about a disgorger, but they are worth enthusing over.

flightliner

Reaction score
Optonic bite alarms

If I remember correctly Mitchell made a reel with an audible alarm built into it sometime in the mid eighties. I never ever saw one on the bankside used by carp or pike anglers, maybe they thought it was a gimmick or that it didnt indicate drop backs was reason for its dissapearance. Good idea tho'--- maybe some other time.