The Alternative Angler ? Wondering about Wandering

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Kevin,

What a marvellous piece of writing and very poignant in parts.One of your best, I think.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, brought back some memories of my own dad taking me fishing. I also had the pleasure of taking my 4 1/2 year old grandson for his first fishing trip on Monday. I found an old 4 metre whip in my shed and took him to the local canal for an hours 'tiddler snatching'. The look on his face when when he caught his first little roach was priceless. He,s asking every day now "when are we going fishing again grandad"?

W

Wolfman Woody

Between a few good giggles there was a snippet of "Kevin Perkins - My life" in there.

Nice read Kevin and quite touching in parts. Only a week now before the Thames re-opens and the time-honoured invitation is once again extended. You will be guaranteed to relive those old childhood memories of days on the Thames, in others words - you probably blank again.

Or maybe not!

I'll be extrememly lucky if my son remembers me on Father's Day. He forgets his mum's birthday, mother's day, and would forget Christmas Day if it wasn't for it's publicity. I have absolutely no chance these days, though my wish list for a FD present still has a ?900 pole on it.

F

Fred Bonney

Nice,Kevin.
Come on then,tell us all, the rest of Your Story.

S

Scott Whatmore

Marvellous Kevin, a great read indeed.

Note to self.. must remember to get fathers day card!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent writing Kevin. Damn you've got me thinking again!

We've got three adult sons and now a grandson and I'm pleased and proud to say we are all in regular touch (if only sometimes on MSN, email and text!). We've even been known to go out together and get pretty drunk!

Only one showed a fleeting interest in fishing but I soon put a stop to that when he had a 8lb+ bream from under my nose.

Alan Horn

Reaction score
Kevin

Excellent article superbly written.

Took me back to my first attempt at fishing the canal at Berkhamsted. My father, who had no interest at all in fishing, took me with some tackle he'd scrounged for me off of some of the Rose & Crown regulars. Bread paste was the bait and I caught a roach.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Another really superb 'read' from Mr. Perkins.

Apropos, "Sons" my 2 remind me of Jesus Christ:

i.e. they lived at home until they were in their 30's and if they did anything around the house it was an effin' miracle!

;-)

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your kind words.

Obviously the up and coming 16th June will now always be a watershed 'beginning and ending' date for me.

As for writing a 'My Story' piece, I'm not so sure. There wouldn't be a lot of fishing adventures in it, I don't have loads of pictures to help illlustrate it, although it may be a cathartic exercise to me, even if it bores the pants off everyone else!

Woody

Thanks, a definite take-up on the invite this year, I promise, and I've asked 'you know who' to do some tasteful swimwear pictures for you.......

J

Jeff Spiller

Very nice, a pleasure to read, the 16th must be a hard day for you.