Storing fly dressing materials

keora

Reaction score
Over the years I've built up a big collection of materials for fly dressing - capes, loose feathers, herl, wings, hooks, dubbing, tinsel, the lot.

The trouble is, I can't find a suitable container to put them in. I keep smaller items in a small craft box, the bigger stuff goes in a plastic case, a bit like a portable filing cabinet, the size of a briefcase with about a dozen A4 folders. Neither is that useful.

How do other members store fly dressing kit ?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Crawl back into your web -- you creepy crawly!!

keora

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, although it's not quite what I had in mind. I was thinking of something cheap 'n' cheerful from a craft shop. The cabinets, although exquisite, look a bit pricey.

S

Sean Meeghan

I use a wooden case which you can get for about ?30 from fly tying materials suppliers. Its about the size of a briefcase, but about twice the depth. my vice clamps nicely to the handle.

The beauty of this is that I don't keep any more materials than can fit in the case, thus stopping that 'growing feeling'!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
You must have an iron will, Sean, most would absolutely NEEEED the latest tungsten midge scrotums in seven colours and six sizes, and chenilles and fritzes in the "in" colours (peach and coral when I gave up; wonder what's cutting it nowadays?), oh, and a couple of emu wings, and a yak skin because they were cheap, and now nobody wants to go halves on it...and so, of course, a second cabinet!
Filing cabinets - the sort with lots of shallow drawers - are the biz (deep drawers are the work of the devil and the province of our "Monk"), and a tatty old desk with a drop front for the vice and shelves for the books. Gotta be tatty so you wont feel bad about screwing an anglepoise and a magnifier to it. And pins in a corkboard for hanging scissors, hackle pliers, bobbin holders (can any fly tyer have enough bobbin holders?) and the like.
Planning permission for a small extension should be sought...

NT

Reaction score
I have a suitcase full of A4 ziplok folders full of materials grouped by type.
Ariflo do a flytying case (on offer at fishtec for ?65 i think).
The cabinets Ed has look the business.
Neil.
Alan, black and gold stragglefritz I believe..

keora

Reaction score
Thanks for the further ideas I'll have a look round for purpose made fly tying cases.

I wouldn't want to have a special fly tying desk in the house, as it would take up too much space. I keep all my stuff in the garage, and drag it out when I have a fly tying blitz just before the season starts in March. I have a second blitz in June as I try new patterns, then the coarse season starts and I usually abandon fly fishing until next spring.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Sealable plastic bags are my way of keeping creepy crawlys out! Plus plenty of moth balls [awaits smart comments :eek:) ] just as a safety precaution.
Tesco or Lakeland plastics do some resealable plastic boxes that are the moths b0ll0cks!

If you get an infestation in your fly tying materials a really cold freezer will sort out the little bu**ers!
Not the microwave, it frazzles your feathers.

Colin

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"The cabinets Ed has look the business"

I don't have any of those Neil .......I just thought they looked good

My 'bits and pieces' are in old box files

M

MarkTheSpark

Whatever you store your fur and feather in, chuck in a few mothballs. There are any number of creatures - particularly carpet beetle larvae and clothes moth caterpillars - itching to scoff the lot.

If you notice any nibbling, by the way, no need to resort to chemical defences. Just microwave the affected material for 30 seconds and pop it back in a packet (with a mothball, this time.)

No matter what anyone says, fly tying gear that gets packed away doesn't get used properly. It may seem an indulgence, but getting a desk/bureau and an allocated are, even of your shed, is the only way.

M

MarkTheSpark

What about THIS Sits on top of a desk, and can fold everything away when not in use.

keora

Reaction score
I found the solution -it's one of those plastic storage boxes from Homebase, about 2ft long with two removable inner trays. It has a tight fitting lid so it's probably bugproof.