Stick floats...

soffit

Reaction score
As I am trotting at the moment have been looking at what's on offer floatwise. The standard Avon I can't get on with. If you shot it so only the tip is visible there is an awful lot of turbulance if you don't connect with a fish when striking as you are bringing an increasing diameter of float through the water. The dome top of the stick float seems perfect... everything below the waterline has less and less resistance when you strike. Trouble is I can't find any without a wire stem which seem quite thin. Do you pinch a shot or something on it so you can make some thickness for a float band to get a grip?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm amazed there's anyone out there that doesn't know that you put rubbers on a wire stem !!

I never use a stick float anymore preferring to use various sizes of Steve Mahers carbon stemmed avon bolo's.

mol

Reaction score
I was back in the UK not long ago and found it hard to find stick floats in my local tackle shops, if they had any the range was limited and seemed to be dominated by avons rather than sticks, might be worth a look online.

Drennan do a range of non-wire stick floats

soffit

Reaction score
Some s/h stick floats seem to have an enhanced diameter at their end but the drennan is just a bit of wire. Nothing that can't be overcome mind...

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

I'm amazed there's anyone out there that doesn't know that you put rubbers on a wire stem !!

I never use a stick float anymore preferring to use various sizes of Steve Mahers carbon stemmed avon bolo's.

Well the Bolo's look a lot like the Avon to me but it did lead me to the Float Shop and an order has been laid on their doorstep as we speak... beats faffing around on ebay for hours as I did today;)

dnahacker

Reaction score
just use pole float rubbers...

my prefered trotting float is this..

49.jpg

if that doesnt suit and you dont like wire bodied floats maybe try the middy pete warren bigsticks

31.jpg

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I would only use an avon in pretty fast and more turbulent water - something like the Hants Avon is in many reaches. Similar situations could also use a balsa. Next step down would be a Pacemaker, Big stick or wire stemmed stick, whilst trotting in smooth less pacy running water demands more finesse with a more sensitive stick float - getting thinner profile and/or lighter shotting as possible.

soffit

Reaction score
Cheers chaps.

Got four of the Lignum variation of sticks and a couple of quills for old times sake. There are three tackle shops near me and not a trotting float amongst them...

Last edited:

soffit

Reaction score
Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's what ****** me off about Ebay... I don't need ten floats of the same size. There was one dealer made a point of saying I won't sell a combination of sizes as a deal. Do these 'Buy it Now' jockeys just sit in front of a computer and never open a packet of the stuff they sell? Rant over :D

I only posted the link as an example of the float not meaning you should press buy it now, saying that though at £1.10p each they're a decent buy imo.

soffit

Reaction score
I only posted the link as an example of the float not meaning you should press buy it now, saying that though at £1.10p each they're a decent buy imo.

Yer But... a chap doesn't need 10 identical floats unless he insists on casting into a tree every time he goes fishing. Its for their convenience and they can keep it is all i'm saying.

theoriginalpikeflyco

Reaction score
Cheers chaps.

Got four of the Lignum variation of sticks and a couple of quills for old times sake. There are three tackle shops near me and not a trotting float amongst them...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by soffit; Today at 02:50.

I know what you mean...I have 6 or 7 tackle shops within 10 miles and not one of them sells a single stick, avon or chubber...and barely a float rod to be seen!!!

I have only just began to dabble in coarse fishing again, after being consumed with flyfishing for many many years...and the change is incredible...everyone in Ireland has gone feeder crazy! I know its effective but for me float fishing is a little bit special.

Anyhow...as the others have mentioned...pole float rubbers are available in countless tiny diameters & are perfect for thin wire stems.

mick b

Reaction score
For a serious selection of river floats go to RINGWOOD TACKLE.

This shop stocks Steve Maver stick floats in all sizes and several various handmade options as well as all the other river floats including my favourite the Middy Barbel Avon - cheap enough to break or loose and bUy 5 at a time!!!
These guys will get you any quantity of whatever float they stock and mail them to you at cost with no extra 'postal' charges.

No commercial interest just a satisfied customer.