Fishing Programs

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
I have been generally unimpressed with many of the fishing programs I have seen of late. Spending Christmas at home I was watching a lot of re-runs of Total Fishing, The Great Rod Race and Lake Escapes (with Matt Hayes), Thinking Tackle (With whoever Korda employ) and the first series of Fishing Guru’s.

Aside from the Great Rod Race where they aim to catch any type of fish to gain miles to travel, the type of program went from bad to worse. Being a match fisherman, Thinking Tackle was probably the most informative, with relatively good information on Knots and Rigs, but there the rest of the were Carp-tastic and frankly a bit of a bore. Being a pleasure/match angler I found that the other programs contained very little content and proceeded more along the lines of being adverts for fisheries. Fishing Guru’s in particular was a disappointment as people rave about this “fantastic” show. Pellets and Boilies were used throughout the series and only once did I see meat, (caster and worm were also shown on the additional material) all of which are standard match and pleasure fishing baits.

Perhaps I am alone in thinking this but what ever happened to programs which were informative and useful to the pleasure angler? Things like;

A Passion for Angling, and,
Bob Nudd’s Guide to…. (Pole Fishing, Feeder Fishing, Fishing Canals etc)

The is definitely a niche market there it’s just a shame that there is nothing modern out there that can fill that gap.

With that in mind, any suggestions?

Last edited:

audi

Reaction score
Even worse for me mate! Quest have taken Total Fishing etc off the evening schedules!! I refuse to pay for Sky and only have Freeview. I really enjoy the Matt and Mick shows, plus Matt Watson on Ultimate Fishing is an absolute blast (apart from the opening credits). I've got nothing to race home for early evening now :( Looks like I'll be trawling around HMV etc looking for DVDs.

dnahacker

Reaction score
Catching the impossible was brillliant, the other bowler DVD a fish for all seasons is worth a watch also, i guess it depends on what you want from your fishing, for me i would rather watch passion for angling/catching the impossible and appreciate well, filmed beautiful locations, some stunning fish and listen to the narrative provided by bernard cribbins and just ache to fish rather that watch the gaptooth gypsy Hayes and blunder brown or nobson green, nor do i especially want a lesson...

terry m

Reaction score
I think that you have to view these programmes with some empathy for the budget available (or not available), the fact that they are on location and also as we all know fish can rarely be caught to order. Factor in that some of these series are very old and I think that most are pleasantly watchable.

Passion for Angling, and Catching the Impossible are the standouts for me, great productions and great scenery.

Worst has to be Bob Nudds Right Angle, shockingly wooden, poor all round. Watching someone pull out an endless stream of 3 inch skimmers does not flat my boat!

A special mention for me would be for Cyril Chauquet, the fishing adventurer, I love his enthusiasm and some of the locations are spectacular, Jeremy Wade's pretty good too.

newbieneil

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a series called `the accidental angler`?(on bbc i think?-maybe about 8-10 yrs ago now) i wouldnt mind seing that again as at the time of watching i was not a practicing angler and maybe didnt appreciate it as much as i would now.

Another decent series which i bought a cheap box set of is matt hayes `mainstream` ...travelling from source to sea on the severn,ouse and shannon.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Never watched the Poshly-Washley Accidental thing (decent types don't do such things, after all), but heard that he fished with my great old pal (not a guide, he was just a local fisherman and his father, the wonderful, but in his latter years TB consumptive, Jalil, the same before him, when I knew them) on a bit of the Cauvery that - guess what? - is now closed to Angling. Jalil (who used to livebait with dogs off cable attached to floaty log for Mugger crocodiles as well fish for fish) and his father and grandfathers before him) and Subhan his son, all ages-old South Indian Muslim fishermen, will be spinning in their graves...

Last edited:

nick dv

Reaction score
Matt Hayes/Mick Brown stuff and also Catching the Impossible, but getting tired of the re-runs. Personally - although not a pure fishing programme - I think River Monsters with Jeremy Wade is the best of the bunch :cool:

Cheers, Nick :)

little oik

Reaction score
I would like to see a series where they do a bit of chat with celebs .Something like Botham on the fly but more general .Something along the lines of Chris Tarrant on the bank fishing with well known celebs who you wouldn' expect would have gone fishing .Just chatting away asking how they got to be where they got to and some funny stories etc..I am not sure whether C.T (he at least is mainstream and popular celeb)would work but you get the idea and perhaps they will catch a few fish as well .and learn more about the people being interviewed .

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I would like to see a series where they do a bit of chat with celebs .Something like Botham on the fly but more general .Something along the lines of Chris Tarrant on the bank fishing with well known celebs who you wouldn' expect would have gone fishing.

Yes i think those are good fun to watch too. I remember one where John Wilson and Tarrant were tackling some grass carp in a lake somewhere in the states.

I would bring back the Golden Maggot formula - target being to catch as many species as possible over two or three days, with two or three teams involved (one angler one celeb in each). As much cheating as possible (puncturing opponents waders, removing reel handles etc) and as many silly target fish as possible (stone loach, bullhead etc). Two points for the heaviest fish of any species, 1 point for catching that species. How many species could be caught over two days in the UK?. All fishing to be conducted in free fishing areas, where fishing is permitted. No fishing in zoos or water garden centres.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I find it - what? - sad? - very sad? - more than a little sad? - tragic? - yeah, tragic - that Anglers, just like virtually everybody else now, feel the need to be entertained by Media "Who am I going to be for the punters today...?" Monkeys. Not to get out there and actually do it, but just veg-out and screen- and sofa-surf.

So...

How about Pro-Am Celebrity Fishing And Shoplifting (with, of course, an Extreme version follow-up series option)...?

Someone in the Red Gurnard feels the same, I see - Shoplifters say they steal because they need love. I need love too, but I don't wander around Tesco looking for it | Suzanne Moore | Comment is free | The Guardian

Yeah. Not sad. Tragic.