gravel pit conundrum?

D

DAN.

over the past week i have stumbled on a few nice carp in a gravel works pit.
now i have tryed to catch them but its shallow and quite weedy.
but on the plus side there is loads of gullies and snags that do look inviting.
the fish tend to shy away from floating baits so am thinking on pree baiting but could do with a bit of advice on the best tactics from some of the more experianced gravel pit anglers out there !
cheers.

D

DAN.king of bad spelling!

looks like im gonna use a stick of dynomite as you lot aint gonna lend your ideas so no probs !

if you are to up yourselves to help fine !
it just proves that if you dont know if someone like me is being straight and wanting advice or is this thread a go to start take the pith!

yes in the past i have been known to go a bit far but i am also very keen on fishing and at times i like to talk about this hobby of mine !
but you like snubbing people like me to keep me down !

hmmmm absinth nice!

E

EC

Great pi55ed post Dan.

I am not a 'carp angler' as such but do occasionally have a dabble.

I think your post might well have gone 'down' the board quite quickly hence the lack of replies mate.

Either way, my advice, for what its worth, is spot the fish first! Find out where they go, their little routes through the weed or over bars etc, then lay a trap, a bed of pellets/corn whatever!

How big is the pit?

D

its about 2 -3 acres mate
i have been down several times now and have seen a small group of carp around a bush 5 feet from the bank in the shallows i supose that they are still spawning but have just started to take some of the freebys that im leaving them so fingers crossed but they are very very skitish fish.

E

EC

I used to fish a park lake for carp, they would come under my feet and hoover up everything bar my hookbait.

These weren't big fish, low doubles tops, but there were about 8 of them that used to knock about together.

I ended up freelining, and the one time my line twitched, I caught..........a 12oz common.

Maybe try lobworms as well mate, grease the last 4 or 5 feet of line with vaseline and walk round looking for fish to cast towards.

D

cheers ill give it a try but im not going to be able to get down for a couple of days but its def worth a go and a good idea cheers E.C
ill let you know how i get on.

B

Big Rik

they may well be skittish because it's so shallow.
Are you concealing yourself well enough?
Bait up when they're not about.
Trout pellet for the smell and corn so you can see if it gets eaten.

Don't expect to see the fish, throw bait at them and for them to eat it all within 10 mins of you getting there.

D

rik its taken sevaral trips to get them eating my choice of bait but they are having it now.
not eating it like it is going out of fashion but they are starting to come round to it slow but sure.

D

result cheers EC,
had two carp using your advice i baited an area next two a reed bed let two swans clear the bottom and the carp showed up not long after i kept feeding them up for around an hour and they didnt even bat an eye lid in the end ,as i was stud on a small bank feeding them in plane veiw !
and i was only 10ft away from them so i underarmed three peaces of corn to the spot i was feeding and only waited 2-3 mins and shortly after landed a two tone mirror to 11 lb.
they spooked after that but came back around 2 hours later so i did the same and this time landed a common that went just short of 8lb top advice cheers again!

B

Big Rik

well done Dan.
They don't have to be huge to give a real sense of achievement.
Overcoming problems and then a result at the end is what it's all about.