Central France fly fishing

Steve Lyden-Brown

Reaction score
Need some guidance on the above subject, especially suggestions of venues. Grayling and trout fishing opportunities especially.
Thanks,
SLB

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

In complete and utter honesty....Don't bother. I've fished umpteen French rivers for trout and grayling. Rivers with great hatches of flies and lovely looking water. in the main they're devoid of anything over 3 or 4 inches. The French are a nation of fishmongers.

Unless you pay through the nose to fish some pretty exclusive water that is renowned for its catch and release policy then really don't even consider it. If its any sort of reasonable day ticket or public water it'll have been wormed to death.

Best

Rich

Steve Lyden-Brown

Reaction score
Hello Richard,

I accept unreservedly everything you say, especially that part about the French being fishmongers and, by extension, their eating everything that flies, swims,and crawls ! What made me think the exercise to be worthwhile was the fact that I have stretched my legs at French motorway service stations and seen them to be bounded by streams awash with trout around a foot length ! As much as I love France for it's eating and drinking, I had hoped that it might provide some halfway decent fishing - however, perhaps not. I shall still pack a small rod though, even so.
Cheers,
Steve.