The Tao of the Trout

J

john conway

Beautifully written as usual Sean, reservoir fishing is not my forte but I am tempted by it in the wilderness of North Yorkshire. We must fish the Ure sometime Sean.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Excellent Sean, i enjoyed that, and you mention about retreiving in the figure of eight, i do the same and i aslo use the waltz theme haha. Sometimes i do different retrieves (sounds silly i know, but i use a song to retrieve to sometimes) then the one that i catch on is the one i use throughout the session.

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks John I'd like that.

A good song for lure fishing is "You're the one that I want ooh ooh oooooh ooh" from Grease. Gives you a nice jerky retrieve and make you sound like a jerk if anyone hears you singing it!

keora

Reaction score
It's a nice article Sean. I used to fish Swinsty and Fewston about 20 years ago and gave up because I never did very well.

I've been three times this summer and I've had quite a few fish each time - either the fishings easier or I'm getting better. I don't find it an intimate water, because of its size and exposure. The fish I've caught this year have been taken on Montanas, black lures and small white lures. I've also had quite a few perch on the fly.

I've often seen perch congregating around my feet when I've been wading. They obviously are waiting for insects which have been disturbed.

I've seen good hatches of big Mayflies this year, and I wondered if you have caught any trout on dry Mayfly representations?

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks for the comments all!

Keith, I've not been able to get to the Washburn valley in mayfly time, but lots of trout are taken on dries. I've been told that one of the best flies is the 'shuck'. Think a big pale Shipman's buzzer with some straggly pale feathers for a tail. The trout get fixated on taking the mayfly shucks which is why this fly works so well. The reservoirs are a lot easier now that they are managed as put and take fisheries.

keora

Reaction score
Sean, thanks for the advice.

I've seen some convincing dressings for fly shucks in a new book on reservoir fishing by an angler called Freer, but I've yet to get round to tying some.