What would you do about it?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
My club waters have become overrun with tiny blade skimmers, thousands of them, and they are becoming a real pain.

Use paste and they peck away at it, use maggot and you get one a cast, use pellet or corn and you get endless false bites.

The pond supports a good mix of coarse fish but nothing really big, including a few small pike plus small perch, but you cannot get through to the carp or tench for these blade skimmers.

We have offered to catch and give them to another pond owner but no one wants them.
Some members want them caught and culled to give the other fish a chance to grow and get to anglers baits.

Whats the solution? Should we go for the drastic option and thin them out?

G

gerry hardwick

you could always ask the ea to take them off you,as long as they dont put them in the dee when its rageing through in winter and full of hungry pike to pick them off

T

Terry D

Get permission from the EA to net them and put them in another water or offer them to another club.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Terry, no other club wants them. Thats the point. In my view they are Britains most unpopular fish at that size, but because there are so many of them they are unlikely to grow on any bigger to say a pound or so.
Unless you had a barren water who would want thousands of three inch skimmers the thickness of a razor blade?
As Gerry says the EA could only put them in the Dee and hope they spread out, or they feed the pike up...

Beecy

Reaction score
Id fish pole at about 4 metres to hand, feeding sloppy groundbait with squats, squat or pinkie on a 22-24 and see what weight of them you can do.

captain carrott

Reaction score
leave it a couple of years and it will sort it'self out.

the pike and perch will thin the numbers and grow on.
the rest will have less competition for food and grow on.

remind me in about 5 years time and i'll help you catch the perch

hehe

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Peter there must be some clubs crying out for free stock ,how many clubs did you try.What about the clubs with canals.My local club holds junior coaching but the lodge isn't exactly teeming with bits for them to catch which is not perfect infact as I watched over from the other lake I thought to myself wouldn't it be nice to put some silvers in for them so at least they were getting bites regular so as to keep them interested

W

Wolfman Woody

Send them down here via the EA. They could introduce them into the Jubilee River where they'd be 5 and 6 lbs each before you know it.

Problem is, you can't move them at this time of year. Got to wait until it gets cold again.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Bugger off Woody northern fish for northern people.Would the EA charge for carrying out the transfer.

W

will spencer

hemp and casters.
sorted.
small hooks and wrigllers will appeal to small fry.larger specimens will fall to hemp and casters or hemp and tares

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
If you want to win a match or have a good days pleasure fishing you need to be catching the carp,tench, crucians and proper bream.
I'd say at their current weight you'd need 20 to the pound.
I am sure the club will speak to the EA about moving them to the canal or River Dee.
Yes, members will have to grin and bear it for the time being.