Things that go Bump in the Night

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What you describe is the same sort of experience The Monk has all the time.

Not spooks of course, just ruffe slappers!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I have had a couple of funny experiences while fishing one was in Wales me and my mate went for a walk of camp were we told there was a little lake with nice carp in it.We didn't even get to walk round the full lake as it had a real bad feeling to the place the feeling of being watched was unbeleivable and we weren't exactly nerds pretty tough we thought, not on that day though we shot of with us pulling each other back to get over the gate.I did return later in life at night this time and the place felt fine and the carp I caught almost instantly still makes it a special but weird place.

M

Maggot

I have just been told that there was a 'Most Haunted' program on the Television that was at two pubs either side of the lane leading to our lake. where they also had ghostly happenings.
The road is an old roman road and the roundheads marched up there to a big battle. it was also a place where highwaymen often frequented.
Also There was a bit in the local paper about a Roman Villa that had been found somewhere along that road but the exact location was kept secret to prevent people overrunning it before thay have fininshed the dig.
so theres even more history associated with the area than I thought.
:0)

Carpless

Reaction score
Don't really know about ghostly experiences but i bloody hate the rats. Scared the life out of me when one was scratching against the bivvie. Always have my biv closed when sleeping now cause i really can't stand them.

M

Maggot

I remember a lake that we used to fish near Darenth that had a glut of hedgehogs. you would see them scurrying around all night. remember waking up with a hedgehog fast asleep in my frying pan (after licking it clean) which I had put under my bedchair.
:eek:)

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

One of my mate's guested the place you describe a few times more than 20 years ago but stopped fishing it because it gave him the creeps at night. Recently he has been doing security work in Afghanistan.

I thought the place was lovely and not being supersticious at all if I could of got a ticket I would have fished it. That area is fairly low lying and gets very chilly, damp and misty at night even in summer.

T

The Monk

Lancashire Boggarts, now theres a thing that goes bump in the night

M

Maggot

Gav, your post (see below)
"We didn't even get to walk round the full lake as it had a real bad feeling to the place the feeling of being watched was unbeleivable and we weren't exactly nerds pretty tough we thought"

Reminded me of the time when a team of us were stranded in the Malayan Jungle by Monsoons and we had the same feeling round a lake in the jungle; we found out afterwards that the Ghurka's had been stalking us on a training session and we could have been having a leak up against a tree and been urinating on a Ghurka without even knowing it. HA good thing he never drew his Kukri (painful) :eek:)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What about ruffe slappers mate?

Don't they go "bonk" in the night?

captain carrott

Reaction score
far worse than being spooked by owls at night would be being spooked by a wol at night.

Yuri Jans-Husband

Reaction score
Fascinating ghost story there Keith, i wonder just how many anglers experience paranormal stuff like this...i remember hearing a similar one some years ago where a party were on a staffordshire mere i think..but i'll leave that account to the guy that told me..he's not far away hehe.
The other thing you mentioned could be Sleep Paralysis or the 'Hypnagogic State'..both of those can occur more regularly when any sleep deprivation has taken place i believe...a kind of half waking half sleeping state.
Maybe the minds open to suggestion of spooky stuff at those times.
The coach and horses though, thats something else...well spooky!!
Yuri.