Distance Casting Questions

Blunderer

Reaction score
I am fishing a water next week where some of the top carp spots are at 140-150 yard range, off an island.

This is much further than I have cast before.

My carp rods are 2 x 2.5lb Fox Rangemaster 2 and 1 x 3lb version of the same rod. I have 3 Shimano baitrunners loaded with 12lb Kristonite.

Is it true I will achieve much better distance with standard rather than in-line leads? I am planning to use 3 to 3.5oz .

I know a PVA bag is a non-starter but would a stringer be OK?

Do I need a shockleader to try to get to this range?

Have I even got a hope of getting anywhere near?

Thanks to anyone who can help...

T

The Monk

My best distance rods where 12.6 Youngies Gladiators (Harrison Blanks), I tested these on a field aganst dictators and armalites at 12ft, the extra six inch made a difference (well thats what all the girls say), I found pendulum arrangments slightly better than in line for distance and I generally use lighter lines with leaders, 8 to 10 lbs on a snag free lake, forget the stringers, use a bit of grease lightening though, its all in the wrist moment and to get the right tragectory you need to let go at about 30% and fully compress the rod, punch the shit out of it, the pendulum cast works well, watch the beachcasters at work, them lads know their stuff, the rod does most of the the casting remember, you do the guiding. Mark a football field out and practice for accuracy, you may wish to take a shovel along with you to dug out the lead after it lands.

T

The Monk

then again you could always apply a bit of watercraft

and buy a bait boat

F

Frothey

i sometimes think the site is psycic, every time i do an article someone asks about it a day or so before graham puts it on!

its coming blunderer!

punch the shit out of it

if you look at the top casters, they dont! its all technique, the grunting and groaning is just wasting effort......

F

Frothey

with those rods, 3oz zipp lead max on the 2.5's, 3.5 on the 3.5, and 30lb leaders to 20lb braid. stringers and bags will have to go i'm afraid!

Blunderer

Reaction score
Frothey
Looking forward to the article, mate.
Well, I have been to the water several times and it looks 140 yards to me. That is also the figure others band around. I must say it is difficult to really say, though - could be 120 yards but no less than that. I have just this season dropped braid for Krystonite and don't want to go back as this will be my last carp session before I go for barbel and I use the same reels - well, one of them.

Monk - baitboats not allowed. What do you mean about 30%?

F

Frothey

probably means release the lead at 30degrees upwards, though ballistics would reckon 45 is more like it.....

captain carrott

Reaction score
if you have to dig the lead out you're letting go too early and punching it up not forwards.

if you're practicing on land you need 600 to 700 yards clear in front of you. a crack off will go this far.

2 things to remember when pendulum casting keep it smooth and keep it smooth.

if you don't feel the rod start to load shortly after you have completed the backswing then stop and start again completely.

release at 45 degrees too early and the lead will bury in the ground when it lands.

when you're releasing at the right time it should only go in a short distance and bend.

helicopter rig is good for distance fishing, the less extraneous gubbins you have on the end tackle the better except for,
get a bit of stiff wire , put a bend in one end.

put some heavy silicon tube up the shock leader the length of the hooklength above the swivelput the wire through the silicon tube with the hook end down wards then bend the other end of it over to 90 degrees using pliars.
slide one single crimp onto the shockleader,

put the hook onto the wire hook you have created and pull it back up the leader till the hooklength it taught.
lightly crimp the crimp in place.

you can then clip the hooklength up which streamlines things even more and gives you a bit of extra range.

shock leader needs to be 10lb per ounce of lead plus 10lb for safety at the business end.

T

The Monk

sorry mate 30 degrees, cant find a degree digit on me puter, its actually the angle when the lead leaves the rod at its optimum point, although I`m no mathematician and I expect someone will correct me on here?

T

The Monk

45 degrees Frothy may be right, Jason has a PhD in this field

T

The Monk

basically if you cast it too high you will lose distance and if you cast it too low errr, oh you will also fall short

alan

Reaction score
have you tried a off the ground cast? a pendulum is great, but not if there is other people fishing the lake, or lots of vegetaion on the banks.

stand facing the water as you would for a normal cast.
hold the rod as normal behind you.
swing the lead as close to you as possable.
touch the ground with the tip of the rod.

at this point your reel hand should be fully extended. the line to the weight tight, and you should be ready to cast.

in one smouth motion pull your reel arm in and swing the rod over your shoulder as you would normally.
when the rod is vertical, punch your reel hand forward, and pull the rod butt in to your stomach, do this as smouthly as possable but with as much power as you can.

when your reel arm is extended let go off the line as normal.

by having the weight on the floor and giving a smouth cast to start with the rod is "loaded" when you come to the punch/pull the rod should be fully loaded and everything you give just accllerates the lead.

the main advantage to casting this way compared to the pendulem is its not a lot differant to your normal cast, meaning your accuratcy wont be affected to much.

have the leader long enough for the line to be 4-5turns on the reel and the weight as close to your feet as possable. the longer the drop is the slower and smouther the cast.

if you put the hook link and weight into a pva bag, you can still cast 100+ meters just dont use as much bait in the bag.

F

Frothey

you can go too long on the drop though alan - pendulum it nearly touches the ground, but most rods half the rods length is about right for OTG

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

140 yards is a hell of a chuck which is hard to achieve with a baited hook let alone a stringer.

To cast that far you need a shockleader, low diameter mainline, a reel with a wide deep spool, a rod that is capable of absorbing and then releasing a lot of power and excellent casting technique.

captain carrott

Reaction score
the angle of release also depends on whether the wind is in your face or behind your back.
behind you then put it up slightly steeper. in your face and keep it a little bit lower.

T

The Monk

One of the best carp angling casters I`ve ever seen is Frank Warwick, Franks only a little guy but he sure packs a good punch

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Distance casting is in fact a complicated subject as there are all sorts of factors involved which prevent you getting the distance you want.

Basically its all about technique, aerodynamics of the weight being thrown and the correct balance between your rod and that weight.

Consult the beach casting experts when it comes to distance casting and don't try to re-invent the wheel.