shore spinning for Bass ?

Beecy

Reaction score
Im on holiday in Somerset in a few weeks, space in the car will be tight so I will only be able to take a telescopic rod, reel and a small box of bits and bats.

Due to this I figure my only realistic option is to try a bit of spinning on the beach.

Is this worth a try ? ( the beach we are staying on is st.Audries bay, which I think is a pebble/stoney beach)

How do you go about this type of fishing, what depth of water do you need and how close in can you catch, I assume bass will be the most likely target ?

Also any recommendations on the type of lures and how to cast/retrieve ?

In short, I really haven?t got a clue so any pointers will be great !

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Beecy I am no sea dog but if theres a beach just take a carp rod or strongest you have some leads in 2 ,3 ,4 oz some big drennan hooks and strongest line you have a few ledger stops or bolt clips ,oh and something to hold the rod up,bait of your choice and wap it out Sorted. Great fun as well and if you catch you can run up the beach like a caveman with your prize buzzin.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Use that Beecy but take a telescopic rod rest for shoving in the sand.There maybe no Bass so it gives you another option for flatties .

Beecy

Reaction score
if I needed a rod rest I'd just make one from a branch, or get our lass to lay face down and stick it up her a...

a a 4

Reaction score
I tried that with my rod n got more than weed stuck on the rings lol

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Take some feathers Beecy, the mack are in and they are gurt lush on the barby.

15lb line with feathers/spinners/plugs/lures, 2oz lead and you're sorted.

Or go for the Henry Gilbey and fish sandeels on the retrieve. Again 2oz lead, long hooklength, but expect to loose some gear, the kelp is thick! The pollock will hit you under the rod tip so avoid lifting out too early! Look for gullies between the rocks.

Stay safe though mate, the tide is very dangerous and very fast!

Have a great holiday.