Best Fishing Story ever told

bleak

Reaction score
What is the best Angling story ever .
For me it is the Old Man and the Sea. by Ernest Hemingway.
However if there is a good tale that I have missed I would love to know about it.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Hi Bleak,

As a one off 'story', the best I have ever read, easily! Debatable if it is an Angling story ( the art of fishing with a rod and line ) but a truly great fishing story.

Best angling book? Another question and an other answer.

For me, Casting at The Sun.

Stu

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mr Yeats autobiography, casting at the sun.
In my mind it has no rival and is the most captivating book I have ever read!
Alas, I sold my signed medlar copy a few years ago when I needed the cash, It is the only item that I got rid of, inc all the tackle, that I really regret selling.
I still have signed copies of angling books, inc some of Chris Yeats and I intend to hold on too them!

Mark

bleak

Reaction score
Hi Bleak,

As a one off 'story', the best I have ever read, easily! Debatable if it is an Angling story ( the art of fishing with a rod and line ) but a truly great fishing story.

Best angling book? Another question and an other answer.

For me, Casting at The Sun.

Stu

Yes Casting at the Sun was a good read,but not a one off 'gripping yarn'. I will look out for The Art of Fishing with Rod and Line. As a Diary of tales I enjoyed John Bailey's 'Reflections from the waters edge'

flightliner

Reaction score
"Big Edgar the eel" told by Ernie Parlour of Tattershall in Lincolnshire a local racontour of some renown back in the late fifties up to around the late seventies.
He had you on the edge of your seat telling that story.

waggy

Reaction score
Try 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.' A rattling good tale.

Sid Little

Reaction score
How about 'red letter days' lots of individual stories from great anglers each one will get you out on the bank.

Philip

Reaction score
How about 'red letter days' lots of individual stories from great anglers each one will get you out on the bank.

I really liked that book too. Nice and simple and very easy to read.

As a kid of about 8 or 9 years old I remeber we had a book in the school libary called "the whopper" I read it a few times...I think this has now gone on to become one of the real collecters items. The story was basically about a kid who goes on to catch a record Carp but it gets rolled back before it was killed.

Maybe someone can clarify if this is indeed the BB (?) book that has since become so valuable..

dangermouse

Reaction score
Tarka the Otter . . . love that bit where his mum is teaching him to fish . . .

Tin hat on and diving for cover.