New World Record Common Carp

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My thanks to Dave Chilton for the picture and details of this magnificent fish. Just spoke to Dave at the Kryston empire in Bolton and confirmed the details.

T

The Monk

WWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thats some mother

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Much nicer fish then the rainbow one. But I thought the record was 88lbs?

T

The Monk

Christian, tell em it was you mate before I get a good kicking!

T

Terry D

If that fish was human then it would be classed as clinically obese and at very high risk of a heart attack. Maybe that's why the mirror died so soon after capture!

F

Frothey

have you actually looked at the pic?

considering its carrying spawn, theres not that much of a gut on it.

the rainbow fish was gutty, but no more so than most anglers lol!

T

Terry D

Just making a comment Frothy. If it was a male then it's not spawn is it. Maybe there's a need for some debate on whether fish of this size are "normal" or freaks of nature.

T

The Monk

Freak of human interference more like, its a king strain genetically modified by man, it has however founds its own environmental niche and adapted, we dont rreslly know what king carp will naturally grow to now, they are still developing, as such he may just be part of the natural progression, al beit promoted by artificial baits. The information on growth rate and age could be interesting. It does look like a resonabled propotioned fish to me with a good fitness profile, more so than some of the 30s and 40s I`ve seen.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Allegedly the mirror died because it was kept out of the water too long.

All record fish are 'freaks'. Same as the world's fattest, or world's tallest, human.

Any record, whether it be fish, human, or anything else, can't be 'normal', or it wouldn't be a record. Normality in this regard is what we perceive to be average.

Record fish are way above average.

T

The Monk

the word freak surely applies to anything which is unnatural, a record fish maybe natural but just one extreme of the scale, it doesnt neccesarily make it a freak of nature, but more illustraites the potential it can grow to, I dont think we have seen the full potential of king strain carp yet, even in this country carp still apppear to be increasing in weigh as time goes by and so do other fish of course

T

The Monk

humans have been increasing in both size and longevilty for many years now, although much of it is due to advances in medical science, a lot more of it is due to unnatural diet and changing environement

T

Terry D

Being the biggest does not necessarily mean being a freak. In any group somone will always be the tallest, heaviest, biggest girth etc. What I would really like to see is scientific evidence that these record fish are actually fit and healthy. After all, Clarissa lived on for another 28 years in London Zoo (I think) didn't she?

laurence garrrett

Reaction score
After all, Clarissa lived on for another 28 years in London Zoo (I think) didn't she? Yes, i think your right terry. But i did hear that when she died she only weighed something like 28lb. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.