Free stretch on River Nadder/Avon/frome

stret pegger

Reaction score
I live close to the Dorset Stour but for years i have been meaning to take a trip up to the River Nadder at Salisbury, Can anyone tell me where the free stretches are? Also anywhere that is fishing well on the Avon fishable by day Ticket? Or know what the Roach fishing is like these days on the free stretch of the River Frome in wareham? I love the Stour but fancy a change, i don't get much free time so would like to head where i should catch, Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
No free stretches of the Nadder that I know of but you might get a day ticket for the Salisbury club water in the town; try Eadies in Salisbury for more info. The Frome roach have crashed - about one a week/fortnight coming out at a very high size suggesting a very small population left at present - just one of its cycles that will pass and it will recover in time. Try the LAA water at Britford (just below Salisbury) on the Avon for ticket water - tickets on the bank, loads of water and the bailiff will point you in the direction of the fish (travel light) - some good roach plus plenty of dace, grayling and other fish.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
That bit appears to be Salisbury club water; certainly was when I fished it in a Winter League many years ago.

George387

Reaction score
There used to be a free stretch unsure if it still is or not at Amesbury called the Lords walk, I fished it weekly on & off for over 4 years while stationed at Larkhill. As I say its been nearly 10 years since I last fished it so could have changed, but if you go into the cycle shop at the top of Amesbury high street am sure they will see you straight.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Lord's walk is quite a short stretch, but I think it is still free to fish, as George387 says, check at the Cycle Shop first.

I live quite close in a neighbouring village and often pass the stretch on my way into Salisbury. Given that it is 'free' it is amazing how few people one ever seems to see fishing there.

It is quite shallow, but contains Roach, Grayling, Trout and a few Perch too. Some dace were taken from there as well so I was told.

George387

Reaction score
Lord's walk is quite a short stretch, but I think it is still free to fish, as George387 says, check at the Cycle Shop first.

I live quite close in a neighbouring village and often pass the stretch on my way into Salisbury. Given that it is 'free' it is amazing how few people one ever seems to see fishing there.

It is quite shallow, but contains Roach, Grayling, Trout and a few Perch too. Some dace were taken from there as well so I was told.

As Peter says the stretch is about 150m long that's it but it does have some really good pegs and in the 4 years I was fishing it, I pulled a 3lbs Grayling from it, a 8lbs Rainbow Trout, which the locals say came from a fishery, and a friend 2 weeks later took a 7lber. The roach and dace were plentiful
You were unlucky if you seen another angler on there on a sunday morning I used to have the full stretch to myself, most people just head for Salisbury and drive right past it.